Author Topic: I really like this stuff  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Gordon

I really like this stuff
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:23:55 pm »
I just finished tillering out my 3rd Osage bow and I gotta admit that I could really get used to this stuff. I love yew and vine maple, but for making short and powerfull bows, osage is the cat's meow. It bends easily, scraps like a dream, takes hardly any set and is tough as nails. This osage orange is exellent bow wood.
Gordon

Offline Dvshunter

Re: I really like this stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:24:58 pm »
Yep. 8)
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:28:26 pm »
Mhmmm....sounds like you got a case of the GOLD FEVER!!!!    ;)......your not the only one bitten by this bug :)

Offline Lemos

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 05:00:19 am »
3rd ! How do you do it Gordon I'm still nursing the one you helped me lay out. I'm afraid to ruin it. I would like to see the three you got done

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 05:09:59 am »
Welcome,Gordon we are all friends here...my name is thad and I to am an osage addict  :'(  >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 05:37:14 am »
Yup - I like the stuff so much i've planted some seeds but by the time they reach bow size i'll be a fair bit older!

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:11:34 am »
i love it i finished my first Osage bow not so long ago its sinew backed and snake skin backed and man oh man i love that thing so much Osage is great.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 09:31:19 am »
  Osage really is a pleasure to work with. Working on one right now, just waiting for daylight so I can go tiller it out.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »
And osage is amazing for the fact that it will excel at almost all designs. Flatbows, short bows, recurves, stacked & narrow warbows... you name it. When I'm making heavy draw weight bows, I always go to osage. It also doesn't seem to be affected much by temp or humidity changes, either. Even yew is not as good for me where I live. Osage is king... if I could only choose one wood, it would be osage.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 02:57:22 pm »
Yes, it is.  I have a stash of it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 05:48:30 pm »
Gordon, don't forget to post the finished product!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 07:15:10 pm »
Oh, I won't forget to post it Frank. I think you will like it.
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 11:55:33 pm »
I think thats a givin Gordon, I dont think any would could not like one of your works of art you call bows lol ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:58:41 am »
Its almost too good sometimes. Makes me want to grab some "second string" wood just for the challenge it presents. Osage won the celebrated 2012 "Bow wood of the year" award..........................again........I have piles of the stuff Gordon. Let me know when you want more and we can swap out a Yew stave for some.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 11:08:43 am »
Here here.  I've been experimenting with all crazy woods that grow in S Florida but nothing compares.
Only thing I'm really left wondering about is Buttonwood, which is I think Black Mangrove and is protected, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing yet.  Even at that, Mangrove I see is pretty difficult to find a straight piece in.
1’—>1’