Author Topic: Pin nock question, advice needed  (Read 4498 times)

TurtleCreek

Pin nock question, advice needed
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:33:34 am »
  When using pin nocks when you're making a bow, how short can you make the bow before you have to start worrying about the string coming off the nocks at full draw?  I would like to use pin nocks on a current sinew backed hickory D bow project that I plan on making about 45 pounds at my 27 inch draw.  This will be my first time using sinew and my first time trying pin nocks so any advice or tips you guys could give me would help out a bunch.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Pin nock question, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:17:52 am »
As long as the string/tip angle doesn't get past 90 degrees it's fine. Even if it did go slightly over 90 the force component trying to slide the string off the end would be miniscule.
If you are sinew backing, tou could build the sinew up a tad on the nock area on the back of the pin and file a slight groove across the back for peace of mind.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »
I love using pin nocks. Check ou these little pin nocks on a 47" ntn bow pulling 51# @ 23"

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28222.msg375661.html#msg375661
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

TurtleCreek

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 04:22:31 pm »
Thanks for the info, that is one sweet lookin' little bow stiks

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:13 pm »
TC,
    I use pin knocks all the time as well...here are some pics of my little 47" osage at 26" of draw. The bow has never lost it's string and has hundreds of arrows through it. It draws 51# @ 26". Ya didn't say how long your bow was so dont know if this will help or not.
rich

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 09:11:49 pm »
Hey Rich, that's gotta be pretty close to 90 degrees on that little beauty.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 10:24:24 pm »
got to believe you are right Mr.Cat.....I just posted because your advise earlier was exactly how my experience is as well.
rich

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 04:15:21 am »
I gotta agree with del and rich, I'm working on a 50"maple backed epe( actually posted some pics friday but made a goof & said it was hick backed), got it 43# @ 25" right now, string saying on no problem, but it has a slight flip on the tips, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

TurtleCreek

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 06:47:14 am »
  I plan on making this current bow project 58 inches from nock to nock, although in the future I might make one 54 inches nock to nock.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:15:13 pm »
Here's the style of pin nocks that I've gravitated to over the last year. You just shape the bow's tip into a point, and cut the nock across the back 0.5-0.75 inches from the tip. Here's what this style of nock looks like on the osage shortie (40 inches nock-2-nock) that I'm hunting with this year:

When I first tried this I was admittedly scared, as you're violating the outer growth ring and common knowledge says never to do this. I've used this style of nock on osage orange, white ash, hickory and white oak and have never had them fail, so I've decided that violating the outer growth ring is fine as long as the bow isn't bending within a few inches of the violation. Since most of us don't tiller our bows to bend at their tips, using this style of nock doesn't seem to reduce the bow's durability.

Also, you won't find a nock style that allows for lighter tips, and lighter tips means less hand shock, a quieter send-off for the arrow and more arrow speed. Since your nock is a valley across the back of the bow, the string can never slip off even if your string angle exceeds 90 degrees. Since I started experimenting with this style I've come to like it a lot, and I suspect I'll use it for most of my bows from here on.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 04:25:51 pm »
That looks pretty interesting Eric.  How deep do you make the string grooves and how thick is the bow at the tips?

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 06:43:20 pm »
I make the string grooves just deep enough so that the string is completely in them, in other words if you string the bow and run your finger over the grooves the string doesn't form a bump there. For this particular bow I think the tips are about 3/8 inches thick at the grooves, maybe a tad less. The grooves are probably a bit over 1/8 inch deep, so that would leave about 1/4 inch of wood at the grooves, maybe a tad less.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 06:25:23 am »
I'll give those tips a try Eric, thanks for the pics