Author Topic: NAF flutes, my first two but not my last!  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
NAF flutes, my first two but not my last!
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:23:09 am »
So my grandpa made me a maple NAF flute a while ago I posted on here and I just whent and visited him and made a couple my self. They are suprisingly easy if you take your time and are really fun to play IMO. This is a video of the 2 flutes, both are redwood in the key of F#. The first one I messed up on and it splits notes on the sixth whole with little air so I made another that worked out great. http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af314/mandoman1540/?action=view&current=110812-202758.mp4 The ceader flute was roughed out by my grandpa for me and needs some stuff done before its glued and tuned. Thanks for looking! :D

Josh
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:49:19 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: NAF flutes, my first two but not my last!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:27:30 am »
those both turned out nice!!  After you get a few more under your belt you will start to notice that they all have their own quirks and different sounds but that is what makes each one special and gives each flute its own voice.  It also makes it hard to get rid of them because they all have their own personalities LOL.  I traded off 4 or 5 last weekend and I am already starting to miss a few of them but I still have 6 so I guess I will be alright.  ;D
I noticed how short your slow air chamber is I usually go 4 inches long on that and it helps with not making them so sensitive to changes in breath pressure.  Also if you have a problem with them over-blowing you can lower that cutting edge down a fraction and it won't let as much air into the flute making it easier to play.  Took me 4 or 5 flutes till I figured that one out. Once again great job on those they sound great!   :) :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:11:48 am »
Thanks Josh I will keep the tips in mind and thanks for the info on Audacity

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:04:34 am »
Great job on both of those. It may not be the distance from the sound edge it could be that the walls are thicker. If your walls are to thick it sometimes has issues with the air traveling across the holes.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:09:15 am »
Thanks Micheal I will take your suggestion and take them down, what do I have to loose ;D

Josh

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:23:59 am »
those are great josh...i wish i had a way of making one....and some good wood...maybe some time you could do a how-to...thanks for sharing...john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:11:06 am »
Thanks John Michael C did a build allong I believe?

Josh

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 04:37:06 pm »
wow!  josh those are great! esp for yr first two!
hey if there is a build along and you have the link
please post
did a search-nada
thanks!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 04:41:09 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24374.0.html

Thanks for the kind words! there is your link

Offline mstrick96

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:43:32 pm »
My advice is that you need to learn all you possibly can from your grandfather!!!! 

You will treasure that knowledge FOREVER!!!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »
Thanks for the advice I tottally agree 100%

Josh