Author Topic: bowmaking wednesdays  (Read 2203 times)

Offline sadiejane

bowmaking wednesdays
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:02:22 pm »
well guys, since none of us seem to be able to coordinate getting out and getting some wood cut, we had a load of wood delivered to the shop yesterday....

ok yes, i'm kidding.
one of my bow making buds and i visited a postyard yesterday(is that cheating?).
this was a delivery he was just getting in.
we wandered around, rolled a kazillion osage logs, picked out several and brought em home.
reckon we may end up with as many as 20 staves. all for the pricey sum of $40.
but the woods all green, just cut spring '11.
so now for the fun part....as many of you know well.
getting all that bark and sapwood off, splitting into staves, sealing em up and watching em dry...
just another wed nite in the west bottoms

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:45:19 pm by sadiejane »
wild women don't get the blues

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: bowmaking wednesdays
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:42:36 pm »
Sounds like a bargain Sadie! 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:12:43 pm »
That's not something you'll see on the Central Coast of California, $40 bucks about $2.00 a Stave with some labor thrown in were do I sign up :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:55:06 pm »
Ugh.  I'm drooling.
1’—>1’

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:17:08 pm »
heck coaster, in Cali were lucky to find an osage post, let alone a tree, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:41:17 pm »
You should split those rounds at least in half, Sadie.   Looks like a nice haul and at a good price. Well done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:07:21 pm »
yup pat, we were thinking to getting em all peeled, split to staves, sealed and stored away. figured the smaller we can get em down without creating too much firewood :) the faster they will cure. we are headed back to that post yard in the next week or two. the fella who runs it has at least some idea now of what we are looking for and is gonna start making a pile for us. the only limitation will be how much wood we have room to store...
thanks!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:46:28 pm »
Ibuse to cut my own osage until I found a post guy 15 min from my farm. Once I taught him what to look for he has been a steady supply of quality staves ever sence.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 10:32:22 pm »
thats sorta what im hoping. he and his dad used to save wood for a bowyer but the guy quit coming around several yrs ago. he is quite willing to make us a pile. or let us dig however deep we have the energy for. he is a bow hunter, well, a compound hunter...we are already thinking of making him an osage bow. bring him into the light. i talked to him quite a bit. he's a decent sort and willing...so the first seeds are planted.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 11:24:55 pm »
Wow, it sounds just like the man I deal with except it is a pair of brothers. I pay a premium price of thirty dollars a log but I only pick the best so i can generally get at least ten staves a log.  I'll sell one and pay for the log and the rest is for me or for trade.  I believe Dean marlow also has a post guy that he gets his wood from. Watch for bugs if you ever store them with the bark on. I almoat lost a few that way.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 09:11:12 am »
You guys are getting it figured out. Around here they usually cut Osage in early spring. Watch your local papers and look for hedge posts for sale also. Dean

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 11:59:52 am »
Thats how you spend a wednesday night, or any night for that matter, the lads, beers, n osage.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »
Osage post? where, where Bubby???

I want one :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline juan lopez

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 03:50:36 pm »
woooow, sadijean, with all that wood can make a log cabin, hehe, excellent wood for bows