Author Topic: Humidity affects on bows  (Read 2478 times)

Offline mspink

Humidity affects on bows
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:36:05 am »
Hey guys im going hunting this thursday and am going to stay out for at least four days. I am taking a maple bow and a red oak bow that i made. Both are about 55 lbs. Its going to be from 70 to high 80 % humidity. How long till this will affect my bows. They are both stained with a coat of poly and stained again. If they are affected what can i expect to see. Also what are some tricks I can use to minimize the affects on them. Any advice would be helpful thanks.
Aim small miss small!

Offline aaron

Re: Humidity affects on bows
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:01:46 am »
mike- with a poly coat, I wouldn't worry at all. When bows get too humid they take set, but even for a week, i wouldn't worry. Of course, unstring after hunting. You could use a dessicant in your bow case, but i wouldn't worry about it with a poly coating.
Good luck + go get 'em!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline druid

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:43:13 am »
I was measuring physical weight of my bow stored in 90% air humidity for months: not changed. It was finished with pig fat and bee wax.

Offline mspink

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:43:45 am »
Thanks aaron but i gotta ask what a dessicant is. Im unfamiliar with the term.
Aim small miss small!

Offline mspink

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 02:46:54 am »
can i expect no change in my bows after only four days if they have both been stained with one coat of minwax stain and with a coat of poly ontop of that.
Aim small miss small!

Offline mspink

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 02:51:24 am »
forgot to mention they are self bows
Aim small miss small!

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:32:40 am »
You should probably be ok but have you ever looked at a coat of (any) varnish that has been on a bow and bent under a microscope? It will be full of tiny cracks. If you use a wax type finish over the top then the cracks get 'filled in'. That is one plus to oil type finishes as they penetrate the wood rather than just sitting on top.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 05:33:31 am »
Oh and lard works really well  ;) Just rub a bit on all over - cheap too

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 12:44:38 pm »
mike , dessicant is like tiny granules that absorb moisture- they would keep the air in your bow case drier (or a garbage bag). that way, any moisture gained during the day would be lost at night during storage. But i wouldn't bother.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 03:03:23 pm »
Also remember it takes longer to dry out than to get wet....

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:34 pm »
mike , dessicant is like tiny granules that absorb moisture- they would keep the air in your bow case drier (or a garbage bag). that way, any moisture gained during the day would be lost at night during storage. But i wouldn't bother.

those little packets that come in all kinds of packaging are great. i have all my friends save em. use em in my tool boxes, knife cases, bow socks, just about anywhere i wanna try and control moisture.
wild women don't get the blues