Author Topic: Titebond III question.....  (Read 5018 times)

TurtleCreek

Titebond III question.....
« on: November 07, 2011, 03:22:59 pm »
  I am about to back a bow using titebond III.  So here's the question:  I was told that titebond III will not stick to itself.  For an example, If I was backing a bow with rawhide or sinew and I sized the back of the bow with the glue and then let that dry- when I go to back it and apply another thin layer of wet glue then apply the backing,  the glue that I applied to the dry sized layer  will not stick to it once dried and therefore not securely hold the backing to the bow.  Is this correct? Or was I given wrong information?

Offline Traxx

Re: Titebond III question.....
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »
Wrong info.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »
  I kind of thought that, but wasn't sure as I am am fairly new to using backings.  Thanks Traxx

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 04:02:42 pm »
I just got done with a BBI longbow using TB111 for glue. works very well
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:50:43 pm »
I have used titebond II before on other projects....  Does titebond III have any color to it when it dries?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »
Very little, but it is visible.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 05:48:25 pm »
I'd say it's got more than a little.  It actually gets darker when it dries.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 07:23:10 pm »
i gotta agree with cameroo, if your backing with rawhide go get some knox gelatin and use that as hide glue, work's great with rawhide and it's clear, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

TurtleCreek

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »
  I actually just got done sizing the bow with titebond III.  Gonna let it sit until it's totally dry and I will put the rawhide on tomorrow. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:13:36 pm »
That TBIII will never let go of your rawhide and water and moisture will never bother the adhesion. If you can see the glue through the rawhide after its dry I will give you a few new strips ;)! The thicker the glue layer the darker it appears. A fairly thin swipe of TBIII is almost invisible. Experiment on scrap pieces for fun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 02:34:17 pm »
I will post pics tomorrow when the wrapping comes off.  I only backed the middle 58 inches of the bow as I plan on doing some decorative wraps just below the nocks that will also serve to secure the end of the backing strips down.  I am not gonna spill the beans on the rest of my plans just yet!!!!!

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 08:36:30 pm »
I have just backed my 2nd bow with burlap using tightbond III. Sure seems to work very well and does darken a little but in my opinion it looks great also.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

TurtleCreek

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 08:43:10 pm »
  Thanks for all the info guys.  I am super excited about this particular project, hopefully there aren't any air pockets to be found when the wrapping comes off.