Author Topic: How dry?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline DLH

How dry?
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:46:44 am »
How dry does wood have to be to glue it? My family does furniture and says it needs to be kiln dried if I want to glue it and it hold since it could warp and pop the joint if it drys more after its glued?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: How dry?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:03:02 am »
Dry enough to make a bow.  ;D Kiln dry is really dry for bow making. If it is dry enough to be stable it will glue. Your family should know that even kiln dried wood will warp.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:06:38 am »
So air drying it will suffice? They have been doing it the same way for years that's how my grandpa was taught and how he taught his sons just one of those things I guess.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:08:07 am »
Most kiln dried hardwood comes out of the kiln from 6-10% MC.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:02:54 am »
Air drying has the same end result as kiln drying, it just takes longer. However, wood (even kiln dried) will change with varying levels of humidity. And yes, as Justin stated, even kiln dried wood will warp. As far as gluing goes, the drier the better.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:49:17 am »
Your Grandpa must be fairly young cause mine never saw a kiln dried board !
He didn't have titebond glue either!
I have furniture he made thats still going strong!
just different techniques for differant Folks I think!
Its good to honor our parents and grandparents !
Yours are not wrong they just did not take the time to fully elaborate on the subject at hand.
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:07:31 pm »
That's why all our ancestors are dead.  They starved to death because there was no kiln dried wood to build bows!   >:D

Kiln or air dried, once a bow reaches stabilization with the local climate there should be no more movement in the wood.  Now if your local climate swings between humid and bone dry there will be some seasonal movement in the wood.  Quality glue, close fitting wood, clean joints, and proper clamping pressure will win the day.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.