Author Topic: 2nd bow build..western indian short bow  (Read 14179 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

2nd bow build..western indian short bow
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:04:26 am »
This is my second bow...another vine maple but pretty different layout.  This was from a pretty big vine maple.  the low crown on the split stave was showing me this short wide bow right there plain as can be, just had to stare at the stave for a long hard time to see it. The illustration of a 36" western oregon indian bow on page 179 of TBB vol 1 provided the vision. 

I am almost done with tillering.  Trying to get it closer to 28" draw without losing too much weight.  It is already down to about 45 at 26" and feels like it is hitting a wall right there...maybe string angle?..as it is only 46" ntn. It shoots pretty good, but I need some lower spined arrows for this guy.  It is 2" at widest, and 5/8 tips (at the shoulder).  I might end up sinew backing some reflex into it.  It took on a bit of set during tillering.  I think the MC was a little too high.  I need to be a little more patient letting my stock season. Any advice is appreciated on moving forward is appreciated
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: 2nd bow build..western indian short bow
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:51:37 am »
Nice looking sticks ;) never tryd vine maple so I can't offer advice but looking good
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:45:21 am »
  I like it!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:10:05 am »
I have only build 7.5%bows, but I think they look just great.  I agree about MC and set.   When I first started making bow I rushed the drying time because I really wanted to make a bow.  This resulted in a number of bows with set.   I bought a moisture meter and now I let it make decisions about MC.   This gives me one more edge against set.  Anyway that's what I think for what it is worth.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 10:21:10 am »
Also there is a great video you should order from 3 rivers archery. It is by Davis can't remeber the title but it shows a lot of really good info on bow building.   Are you heating the bow with a form called a caul.  I found this very helpful.  All of the stuff you need to know is on that video. I met him at the IBO and was very impressed with his knowelege. Also if you can make it to twin oaks someday day you would learn a ton in a short period of time.  Take a look at pappys post called the good life.  You can see in the pictures all kinds of great tools and equipment that they use in building bows.   I have bought a band saw and built forms and a draw knife and lots of other helpful stuff.  Good luck!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Shaun

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:32:58 pm »
WOW! you nailed the tiller - nice work! 26" draw is a lot from a bow that short. You could get more draw weight from sinew and loose some of the set if you put some reflex in the bow to sinew. A pair of posts with the back up and a string at the handle to pull down into reflex is typical for a sinew form. Traditionally these very short bows were not drawn 28" to a solid anchor, but were shot with arm strength (not back tension) from various positions. Again, nice work on the tiller!

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:30:37 pm »
great looking bow

TurtleCreek

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:26:17 pm »
  I see that it has a working handle....  How much thicker did you make the handle compared to the beginning limb thickness at the end of the fades?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 04:27:57 pm »
45 inches pulling 26 inches and you have a little set, I'd say you did just fine....  super little shooter there :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:39:54 pm »
I think you have exceeded all reasonable expectations with that stave!  Yeah, of course you are hitting the wall, check out the string angles on those tips, Dude!  Some set is to be expected, looking at the length of the bow and the length of the draw I would have expected drastic set IF the bow survived. 

Great job, love it!  And if you decide to keep it nekkid like that, I got no problems.  Any additional paintin' and decoratin' is just gilding the lily!  That bow is nothing but down and dirty archery. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:38:52 am »
Thanks guys. I needed some help being talked back to reality...as far as expectations for draw length on this bow. 

Turtle Creek, the handle is not a great deal thicker than the limbs.  The limbs are about 3/8" thick and the handle is maybe 9/16" The handle is flat in shape, like the rest of the bow, just a lot narrower and a tad thicker than the limbs.  A bend through the handle design was in mind from the get go (have to with a bow of this stature), but I did not get the handle really bending until late in the tillering process.

As for finishing it up, there are some really cool designs to work from in that TBB chapter on western Indian bows. I was thinking of going all out and using minerals and thinned pitch to paint the design.  I might save my sinew for the next VM bow, which will be more of a performer than this fun little show bow.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 02:20:05 am »
Beautiful bend on that little bow, CMB. Well done!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 06:52:08 am »
Great bow, that sucker is really working hard. I expect a sinew back will get you that extra couple of inches draw if you need 'em. (Not that I've done much sinew backing :-[)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:46:43 pm »
CMB:    I really like your pyramid style tips.  It adds a real nice look.  I would stop at 26.  There's something called the greed factor that scares me a bit.  When my shorties "hit the wall" like that, I listen to what the wood is trying to tell me and stop.  Yes, you can pull it into some reflex and sinew but i would still stop at 26-inches.  Heck, if the draw length is too short for you, send it to me as is.  It would fit my draw length perfectly!  Can't wait to see it all dolled up.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 11:41:57 pm »
Heck yeah...paint her up n finish her up and shoot the snot out of that one. ;)