Author Topic: tillering help for a newbie ^^  (Read 1114 times)

Offline PatrickH

tillering help for a newbie ^^
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:37:17 pm »
Hi guys i made my first (successful) bow yesterday, a hickory flatbow. but its final draw weight was only 37#@30inches with about 1.5 inches of string follow. i have another board its a red oak board, i roughed out and glued a rawhide backing onto, its a 72in NTN flatbow design with a 5.5inch stiff handle, with 1.5inch wide limbs, that narrow and stiffen over the last 8inches. I picked out a board with growth rings 90 degrees to the back and as straight as i could find. now my question is what would be the heaviest weight you would make this bow with a 30inch draw? i have a traditional bowyers bible 1, but it seems to focus mostly on bows with 28inch draws, and im a pretty tall guy and would prefer a 30inch draw.

thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:54:47 pm by PatrickH »
Muskegon Mi.

Offline bubby

Re: tillering help for a newbie ^^
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:47:27 pm »
just figure 2-3# more for the extra inch of draw, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:30:31 am »
Welcome to P A !!
I think I would decrease from 8" stiff to 6" for a faily new bowyer to get that draw lenght , but either way you should be able to get 50 plus pounds out of it !
Have Fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PatrickH

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:26:58 pm »
Thanks guys ^^ im just going to shoot for around 50# i think. i will post it when its done
Muskegon Mi.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 10:33:19 pm »
If the board is good and you put rawhide on it you could get up around 70# or more. Sand that rawhide down nice and thin so the extra mass weight doesnt slow your bow down. 72" long and that wide is alot of extra skin.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.