Author Topic: Pine Tar?  (Read 6665 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Pine Tar?
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:49:33 pm »
Was in the local gas station/farm supply store recently, and came across a quart can of pine tar.  Which instantly begged the question: "How can I use this?"  So I'm asking: has anybody used it, what did they use it for, did it work well?  I gather it might be used for waterproofing/sealing of wood, perhaps it can be used to make pitch glue for arrowheads?  Maybe gluing down a rawhide backing?  This can has me excited without really knowing why, lol.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Pine Tar?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »
Have you been in the rum again??  :P

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:18:30 am »
Hey!!! Did I deserve that!?  I think I'll pour myself a rum and "mull" it over.  Get it!?  Rum!? Mull!? Ok, maybe it's not that funny.  ;D
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:35:26 am »
I don't know. I've never used it. Does it list ingredients?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

toxophool

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 07:16:38 am »
I don't know about it's possible uses with archery, but here in Finland, it's used to waterproof the bottom of klinker built wooden rowboats and the like.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 05:02:01 pm »
Have you been in the rum again??  :P
HAHAHAHAHAH!   >:D  That was a good one Cam!!

And zenmonkeyman, I don't know if you deserved it or not, but if I had to guess..... :-\

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHa, dpgratz

think I'll pour one myself...whisky though, I'm a Southern Indiana hillbilly.  ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:59 am »

Zenmonkeyman;
     Just Google Pine Tar, and go to the Wikipedia, and it lists all kinds of stuff for it.
Like Toxophool, said it is used for marine applications, as well as medical uses.

Wayne

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:52:10 pm »
not my words-found online
"Pine tar is a sticky material produced by the high temperature carbonization of pine wood in anoxic conditions (dry distillation or destructive distillation). The wood is rapidly decomposed by applying heat and pressure in a closed container; the primary resulting products are charcoal and pine tar. Pine tar consists primarily of aromatic hydrocarbons, tar acids and tar bases. Components of tar vary according to the pyrolytic process (e.g. method, duration, temperature) and origin of the wood (e.g. age of pine trees, type of soil and moisture conditions during tree growth). The choice of wood, design of kiln, burning and collection of the tar can vary. Only pine stumps and roots are used in the traditional production of pine tar. Pine tar has a long history as a wood preservative, as a wood sealant for maritime use, in soaps, in roofing construction and maintenance, and in the treatment of skin diseases."

is there any way to use pine tar to make glue? thats what i was looking for when i found this.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:13:12 pm »
If you have some, try mixing some charcoal and deer dung to make a "pine pitch" for attaching points to the shaft. May not work, but try it and let us know. I would think it is a very clear type of pine sap, unless the heating process of gathering it, changes it some how.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 09:45:37 pm »
To make good pine pitch glue or varnish you first need to have hard, brittle pitch. If you strat with gooy pitch your glue and varnish will be sticky. I assume the "pine tar" has other additives to make it easy to apply. If it is just gooy pine tar you will have to cook the terps out so it will solidify if you want to use it for glue or varnish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 01:46:39 pm »
Be careful putting that stuff to a fire.  I picture it as being a very dark reddish black thick sticky stringy liquid.  Highly volitile I'd susspect.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 02:55:24 am »

Flaming arrows! ;)  8) >:D

Wayne

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 11:44:44 am »
We use it on the horses hooves during dry conditions.It helps hold moisture in them,to help stop cracks and splits. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 10:30:06 pm »
Pete said it. I was a farrier and raised horses for awhile and used it for hoof treatment and also a teaspoonful for a horse with a cough. All kinds of uses really but like it says it is the consistency of gooey tar.

learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline MetisLifeguard

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 09:37:03 pm »
The place I've seen this used for archery is in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoNmUJWNCMw

This guy is making a replica arrow of Otzi the iceman. He does it the primitive way and shows us how to get the pine tar out of it. About 2:52 is when he starts getting the bark to make the tar.

Minwikijigan
A leopard never changes it's spots. It just learns to hunt a different way