Author Topic: Wanting To Build Some Bows For My Daughters  (Read 5184 times)

tradrick

Wanting To Build Some Bows For My Daughters
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:39:02 am »
Both of my daughters have out grown their bows.I planned on getting them new ones for Christmas.At first I was thinking of just buying them a laminated bow but now I think it would be cool to build them a self bow.The bows that they have out grown were hickory longbows not cut to center.So their already use to shooting bows similar to a selfbow.My girls are 11 and 9.My oldest is tall and long armed for her age.About 5 foot tall and not sure on her draw length.But its probably at least 24 or 25''long.Is there a rule of thumb on how long a bow should be for a certain person in order to have a smooth drawing good casting bow?Such as making the bow as long NTN as the archer is tall.I have very little expierence in building bows.My first and only selfbow is one I help make for myself at Pappy's Tenn Classic.And evan then the man I bought my stick from Gary Davis had already done all the hard work.I just floor tillered it,tillered down to the poundage I wanted,and finished it,also added leather grip and shelf and am getting ready to install some tip overlays.What would be a good wood to try to build for these girls?Something easy to work.Also,can anyone recommend were to get my staves already seasoned,since this is a last minute decsion?I'm thinking hickory but am not sure how diffcult it is to work.Sorry so long winded.Thanks tradrick

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Wanting To Build Some Bows For My Daughters
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:45:19 am »
How tall are the girls ? I usually make them a little longer than the kid.But if you know there draw you can double it and add the handle for a minimum length.Hickory works fine but Osage is
a little more forgiving. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:19:15 am »
he'd have to chase a ring on osage, wouldn't have to if using hickory. peel the bark and there's the back....
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

tradrick

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:20:00 am »
Thanks Pappy,my oldest is about 5'tall.Not sure how tall my youngest is I'd have to measure her.I don't know much about different woods but I do think I like osage better.Its just a nicer looking piece of wood IMO.My osage bow I built at your Tenn.Classic is starting to feel a little lighter or I'm just getting use to it more.Do they loose a couple of pounds after being shot a little bit.I'll be purchaseing my first bow scale in a few weeks.I'll know for sure then.Thanks tradrick

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:07:32 pm »
I think you are on the right track with the osage. I have built three nice little osage kids bows.I am working on one now for a friend of mines little girl.It will give you practice for big bows . it will also mean alot more to the child.
P.S. Osage looks neat with pink leather grips. The girls will love it..
I made mine 49" and 46" for my kids. Girl is 8 and tall , my boy is 5 and tall. I would measure there draw and double it.
Good luck.
              Nugget ( aka T.J. )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

tradrick

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 09:26:28 pm »
Thanks for your input guys.I've been reading a little here and there on the 2 woods mentioned.From what I understand osage can be very challenging with following the growth ring and all.And since I'm a green horn at this I'm thinking my first attempts might should be hickory.So does anyone know were I might be able to purchase a couple of staves that might be dried enough to work?If I read correctly on hickory you can remove the bark and there's your back.Then you can rough the bow out(limbs and handle)and then dry it under controled conditions such as a homemade heat box.Then the bow could be ready for final tillering in as little as 1 or 2 weeks.Am I correct so far or am I way off base?tradrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 01:06:32 am »
For kids bows, a good hickory board and Jawge's website will get you a couple of good little bows and a wealth of knowledge. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC