Author Topic: BBH (Burlap Backed Hickory)  (Read 2897 times)

Offline johnston

BBH (Burlap Backed Hickory)
« on: November 05, 2011, 03:23:23 pm »
A feller I know has an industrial wood plane. He makes a good living sizing old lumber from all over the world and selling it. Went to see him about wood and ran into a retired carpenter friend who sometime helps in the local demolition. He gave me a ragged piece of hickory that he happened to have on the truck.Said it came from a barn corncrib that was old when he was a boy. Man is 75 years old.

Piece of wood was about 7 feet with broken split-offs on each end on opposite sides. About 1 3/4 " thick. Still had a couple wedge nails in it and it had been treated with something probably creosote a long time ago. Now we all know that hickory sucks moisture and therefore it rots fairly quick. Supposedly this piece was part of the frame inside a bin inside the crib inside the barn. I don't know but I took it home not expecting too much.

Got it cleaned up and laid out a 67" pyramid. When tillered it pulled 74#. It was fun but too much so I narrowed it down and shortened it too keep my pointy taper. Got it to 64#. After a couple hundred arrows I noticed the tips getting whippy. Narrowed it some more, shortened it' took wood off the belly. Made antler caps for the pin nocks and it snapped clean 4" from the top tip.

Had a little surgery and later had time to kill so I cut the bow down to 53" and narrowed it to 1 3/8".Was in final tillering when I noticed a splinter. Patched that and put on a burlap backing. It has 300-400 arrows through it now and pulls 51# at 25". And shoots very strong and smooth. The wood came from a barn, burlap from the field and the handle is an old welding glove. It was a screwed up build but I really like the results. Thanks for looking.

Lane

Offline johnston

Re: BBH (Burlap Backed Hickory)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 03:25:26 pm »

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 03:26:53 pm »

Lane

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:30:45 pm »
I still can't quite get to full draw. Doesn't hurt till I get to the last little bit.

Lane

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »
That is a cool bow and a cool story.  Well done.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gmc

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 04:21:03 pm »
Nice bow and well tillered.

I think the moisture issues has more to do with excuses than anything. I've been trying to prove hickory wrong for a long time and it still rivals some of the best bow woods out there.

Enjoy that bow.

gmc
Central Kentucky

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 04:25:53 pm »
  Nice looking bow.  I also think that's a great story to it, sometimes it's the history behind it that adds "character", good job.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 04:30:18 pm »
Man that was a long hard trip,
 Way to stick it out. I love reclaiming old wood, Very nice looking bow I like it a lot.. You have enough to start a new one?..

Take Care,, Chuck

T
Armstrong, BC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 07:39:14 pm »
very nice bow

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 08:37:34 pm »
cool story Lane and a very nice bow, full draw is perfect and unbraced is dead flat. its hard to beat hickory built right . i was gonna offer to shoot it for you till your hand was better but i noticed you rested the arrow on the wrong side. i enjoy seeing your builds

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 08:48:26 pm »
I would call that bow "Perseverance"  ;)
I'm very impressed with both how it turned out and your incredible tenacity. Many of us would have thrown that piece of hickory into the scrap pile well before it was finished!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 01:12:56 am »
Sweet bow and story Lane! You can tell a true craftsmen by what you did with that bow... O and by the way I got those slings I owe you packaged up and ready to go... Hopefully I can get them out Monday...

Jon

Offline johnston

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 01:34:23 pm »
Thanks for the nice words guys. Ain't exactly brimming with confidence in my
building and am always kinda surprised when a bow turns out nice. Now I
am gonna knock the shine off and get this bow to the woods. Thanks.

Lane