Author Topic: Handles  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Handles
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 07:21:38 pm »
I prefer no handle wrap most of the time. I did them all that way for years. I thought I was the only guy in the universe who liked them that way as all of the bows I saw were wrapped.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline gmc

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 01:40:28 am »
I've struggled a bit with this myself. I don't use leather anymore because I never thought that it was a good fit for a primitive bow but have done it a lot just because I reckon.

The particular design that I make nowadays requires a little build up behind the handle so I just wrap with linen.

I agree, doesn't  have to be there to be a primitive bow.   
Central Kentucky

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 07:28:52 am »
  I've made 3 bows where I checker the handleslike gun stocks. Because they also like the wood feel But did'nt want the slippery handle. I have use elk skin on most of my bows it thin under a 16 th use'lly. I perfer some sort of skin simply because wood is slippery and COLD to hunt with. I don't like corage with it gets wentvit stays wet or if it's cold enough it frezzes. But it dose have a good feel. But it's want some people want.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 11:26:50 am »
Sometimes it's a bit of a shame to cover up a nice looking wood handle but many of the bows I make are spliced and have a carved in arrow pass.  Just wouldn't look nice with no leather wrap.  I sometimes make straight handled bows without a handle wrap.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 12:11:04 pm »
I've done both, but most of my bows have a wrapped handle. I have to admit, the bow just looks better, and more finished with a handle wrap of some sort. However, some bows, like warbows, don't look right with a handle wrap. To each his own!