Author Topic: Cedar Bow?  (Read 12281 times)

Offline fenciii

Cedar Bow?
« on: November 04, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »
Hi all..I am hoping you can all help me with this question. Being the experts I'm sure you can! Please keep in mind I am brand new and have only one bow under my belt.

I have stumbled across some cedar and had heard that you can make a bow out of it. Here are my questions;
1. Does it matter what kind?
2. Can I do it?
3. would it make a good bow?
4. any suggestions on best methods for cedar if yes?

Offline Keenan

Re: Cedar Bow?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:44:50 pm »
 Eastern Red Cedar (ERC) Needs backed but will make a decent bow, as will allot of Cedars.  Most junipers that are in the Cedar family will make a great bow especially when backed with sinew.  True Cedars should be backed for safety. They can let go with no warning and the do explode spectacularly.
 Some Junipers can make a self bow if the right type. Mountain juniper is a very tough one that will make a self bow.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:52:31 pm »
I recently made a 66" rawhide backed ERC that is shooting really well and has accounted for two deer so far this season.  Bear in mind that, as mentioned, some cedars are just that: cedar, while what we call Eastern Red Cedar is actually a juniper.  Usually needs a backing, but is very light so it shoots hard for its draw weight.  All in all a fine and pleasant wood.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:56:07 pm »
I wonder, would hickory or bamboo make a decent backing? Or better to go with rawhide or sinew?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 01:10:04 am »
Sinew and juniper is excellent!  I have an ERC that I am just about ready to sinew. Just my preference. I tend to like sinew over other type of backing just because of the advantages it gives.

Offline fenciii

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 03:51:45 am »
how do I tell if the cedar that I have is juniper?

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 10:08:04 am »
You'll know if you have eastern RED cedar(aka juniperus virginiana)by the color of its deep red to almost purple heartwood if the woods cut already. Also junipers will have a dark blue to black berry and not cones if your trying to id it as a tree. Also post a pic here and we'll id it

Offline fenciii

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 04:27:52 am »
It was not by your description...plus it was rotten...i was hoping it was ok...but it had several larva through out

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 12:46:32 pm »
fenciii, where are you ??
that will help us determine which "cedar" you're talking about.

probably not eastern red cedar that you're talking about as the heartwood is very rot resistant.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.