Author Topic: Tip overlays  (Read 17468 times)

makete

Tip overlays
« on: July 17, 2007, 03:42:11 pm »
Would like to know what you all have used for tip overlays. What were the pro's and con's of that material? Was it easy ;) to use and shape? Why are tip overlays important or necessary? And any other information you may have about the subject.

Offline DanaM

Re: Tip overlays
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 03:49:34 pm »
I've used various hardwoods and antler, just for decoration.
On yew their necessary I believe because the wood is soft also ERC may benifit as it also is softer.
The sky is the limit you could use bone, mother of pearl, exotic hardwoods etc.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 03:58:40 pm »
What Dana said!  In most cases, tip overlays are strictly decorative...except for the softer woods like yew and ERC. I have used antler, hardwoods, bone and leather saturated with super glue for overlays.  As long as the mating surfaces of the bow tip and overlays are well matched, you should have no problem putting overlays on. I usually preshape the overlay first before glueing. Makes it easier than trying to shape after they are glued down. I have used gel type super glue, regular super glue, TB glues and epoxy to attach tip overlays.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 06:15:31 pm »
Pretty much the same- hardwood, antler, bone, horn, hoof. I'm gonna try black walnut shells one of these days, but then, I'm wierd ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 07:18:47 pm »

have done a little build-along a while ago:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1729.0.html

i used hardwoods, horn and antler

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:44:55 pm »
I just used bone for tip overlays and arrow plates on a new bow, and it was a lot of fun, if unpleasant smelling at times.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 09:45:57 am »
I would add that tip overlays make it easier to do really narrow tips by providing an area over the "bacK' of the tip to grab the string.  Horn is good because its so light yet tough.  I like some brown exotic looking osage I have, use it on almost all my jobs now.

Dave

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:10:57 am »
I would add that tip overlays make it easier to do really narrow tips by providing an area over the "bacK' of the tip to grab the string.  ....
Dave

oh yes indeed - and i've done narrower then that...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

makete

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 10:40:29 am »
Does the overlay material "have" to bend or can it be made from stiffer non-bending material? Hoof and mother of pearl must look extremely nice. Well actually they all look nice. ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 11:48:28 am »
makete the tips shouldn't bend on a bow therefore the overlays don't have to
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

makete

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 08:59:50 am »
If the tips dont bend, could someone use stone? Something like soap stone? The reason I am asking is that we go to Minnesota every year to quarry pipestone to make native american ceremonial pipes (peace pipes). And think that it would look nice if the stone was used as a tip overlay. Pipestone is alittle harder than soapstone but still soft enough to work with a knife and file. Tell me what you all think.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:09:56 am »
You could use soapstone,etc for tip overlays but the extra weight would cause hand shock and slow down your bow. Save the soap stone and pipe stone for trade items and trade them for antler or other appropriate materials.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

makete

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 07:34:41 pm »
Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm!! Well shot down that idea.

bikermikearchery

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 08:25:35 pm »
Don't give up so quick.
 I had a similar idea but to shave weight I put walnut overlays on the tips then drilled 1/4" holes 1/8" deep and epoxied tiny pieces of Turquoise in to the holes. The walnut really set the turquoise off. this bow also had a turquoise in walnut arrow plate. This bow was a parting gift to a friend who I haven't heard from in ten years so no pictures.

Offline samuraiwarrior

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 09:12:37 pm »
I would think that stone overlays would work, if you keep them as thin laminations and narrow the tips down to 1/4" wide or so.  I woudl think that it would not add so much weight that it gives the bow hand shock.  Make sure that your outer limbs are thin to eliminate the mass that causes hand shock and use a strong epoxy to glue it to the wood.
Dave, I think that horn isn't so light.  It is a lot heavier than wood, and readily sinks. 

And to the original question, I use water buffalo horn, it is relatively easy to shape with hand or powertools.  I glue on with hide glue or super glue.  I add them for the aforementioned reason (string nock around the back) and for looks.