Author Topic: Jane~66" Bamboo backed hickory.  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Jane~66" Bamboo backed hickory.
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:10:04 pm »
This is the 2nd version of this bow I have made and I love them both.  The lumber I get gives me a 1" to 1 1/8" piece left over after getting two 1 1/4" pieces from it.  I can split that and glue on some handle bulk and I'm ready to go with a skinny blank that is fairly quick to put togeather.

What is interesting to me is that as far as instinctive shooting goes I do well with these!  I seem to hit what I aim at or think about shooting.  I can't describe my aiming method because I don't have one.  On other bows it took a while to get a sense of where it shoots.  This was shooting like a dream in that reguard right out of the gate.  I'd call her Jane but she's not so plain after all! ;)

This was commissioned by an old friend.
Bamboo backed hickory.  50# # 28".  66" NtN.  Overlays are Walnut.  Grip is leather.

Offline bryan irwin

Re: Jane~66" Bamboo backed hickory.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:34:25 pm »
thats a nice looking bow .
bryan irwin

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:03:38 pm »
Jane has some nice subtle curves ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:10 pm »
Congratulations, Very nice tiller. Nice contrast with the tips and boo

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:27:36 pm »
I thought I'd stick to female names for bows from this pattern that I make but I wonder if I'll run out of names!  I like making this one!

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:29:11 am »
That's beauty in simplicity, nice lookin' bow.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 06:53:10 am »
Sweet jane...if only there were a way to leave the rest outside the leather, nice job  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:35:19 am »
Very nice looking bow,nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 11:00:29 am »
Great looking bow! I have made several BBH bows and was really surprised how well they perform.

The only thing I would change about the bow is to get rid of that huge hump of arrow rest wood under the leather. You can feather it out to be nonexistent and have a much cleaner looking handle, lots more comfortable in the hand as well.

This glued on rest goes down about an inch under the leather but is feathered out  to blend with the rest of the handle.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:39:50 pm »
Eric~  I have made some kinda like that.  This isn't uncomfortable at all actualy.  When I make a circle with my hand pretending to grip around something I don't get an actual circle but a circle with a triangle shaped void.  That happens to nicely fit right over the bump.  It's the biggest one I have done.  Personaly I like a bit smaller but smaller is more likely to fall off.  Taste.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 11:46:09 am »
You are right, everyone has a preference. Sometimes I goof up and try to interject my preference into someone else's bow making.

Don't think a smaller glue surface will cause a problem with the rest falling off though. An arrow rest has absolutely no stress on it, just a bump on a log so to speak. I file a little flat notch where I want the rest to be and stick the wood on with super glue. On the few times I decided my rest needed to be moved higher or lower I had to bandsaw it off because it was there to stay. I don't think I could have knocked it off with a sledge hammer.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 01:49:25 pm »
Sorry should say the "arrow is more likley to fall off" the smaller rests.  Ofcourse practice is ll that is needed to get used to the small ones which I like. 

I like a sight window or a tiny bump to give nocking consistancy and give me a fraction of an inch between fletching and skin.