Author Topic: White ash questions  (Read 1216 times)

TurtleCreek

White ash questions
« on: November 04, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »
  I will be starting on a white ash board bow this weekend.  66 inches long, 1 and 3/8 wide to just past mid limb and tapered from there to 3/4 inch tips, slightly working handle.  I am shooting for a bow of about 45 pounds at my 27 inch draw length, and I also plan to back it with rawhide.  With these dimensions and fairly light poundage, will it be necessary to heat treat it? Just looking for as much advice I can get before I start removing wood. Thanks!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: White ash questions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 05:39:13 pm »
Heat treating white wood is a cheap and easy performance booster in my mind. I have my 66" white ash stave bow underway and fully intend on heat treating while reflexing it.  Plus it looks pretty nice with stain and sealer on it!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:35:53 am »
  What if I were to shorten the overall length quite a bit and sinew back it? Is white ash a suitable wood for sinew?

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 07:12:28 am »
it'd be a whole lot easyer to heat treat it than sinew it, is there a reason your so opposed to heat? You can probably hit your weight without doing either, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:29:56 am »
I have never sinewed ash. I know its been done many times over and with success. If you sinew the back, heat treat that belly. Thats my advice anyhow. Sinew is SUPER strong stuff and can over power weaker woods in a flash. As far as length. My current ash project is 66" long, 1 3/4" wide for 2/3 of the working length. I will be pulling it to 28" plus. No backing, except some SUPER sweet carp skins!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 01:47:20 pm »
  That reminds me PEARL DRUMS, pm your addy- I have that set of skins I want to send ya.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 01:48:28 pm »
  I thought of sinewing it because I have a good supply of it, just an idea.