Author Topic: Not so bad.  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Not so bad.
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:56:19 pm »
Made my first point today.  This flint knapping isn't so bad if you start with flakes!.  I did one from a little blade core.  Almost triangular in cross section.  Nice and thick.  I'm making a fishing point toggle tip from it.  Working it wasn't so bad.  How come we don't see more people working from blade cores? 

I'll get pics up soon. 

Offline Jimbob

Re: Not so bad.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:23:22 pm »
Got any pictures?
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:33:18 pm »
 :DNo teasing!!! Show use the point!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:13:45 pm »
That's what a lot of native points I've found started from also. But,,we still need pictures. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:09:48 am »

Middle is a small knife skinner, scalpel.  My favo is the pink tip and the spike.  I haven't mounted the spike yet but I'm going to make it into a toggle tip arrow.  I'll mount the stone in a piece of hard wood or bamboo with epoxy and artificial siner and then mount thte flake to the back edge.

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:14:12 am »
looking good

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:59:52 pm »
Good start! Keep up the good work. There's nothing like working a rock into a usable point  ;D
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:37:30 pm »
Great job man.   Remember to make the thick end with the bulb the point end if you can.  It takes more material from the sides to thin the bulb end.   Good luck and we should still get together sometime.  There is a knap in at skunk river this summer you should go to in southeast iowa.  Do a search on the web for iowa skunk river knap in.   
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:09:36 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:58:06 pm »
Hey keep me posted on that.  I might be able to make it!  Woudl be agreat place to get a bit of visability for my bows aslo.  I'm hating this cold weather.  Yea I'm a fair weather bow builder!... :laugh:  I have a hankering to try the takedown recureve and an Ed Scott style recurve (minus the horn for now).