Author Topic: Is This Handle Tacky ?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline johnston

Is This Handle Tacky ?
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:06:39 am »
Spent too much time on this bow for it to turn out fugly. Never did like stuff hanging off a bow
so don't ask me how this happened. Is it tacky or ugly or what?

Be easy to fix it now. Thanks.

Lane

Offline johnston

Re: Is This Handle Tacky ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:08:28 am »

Done.

Lane

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:15:20 am »
I personally don't see anything in the world wrong with it, Lane.  It's your bow, though so if you're not happy with it go ahead and cut them off.  I also happen to know a guy that does lefty bow removal if you just can't make it like you want :D
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

TurtleCreek

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:27:21 am »
  I like it, nothing tacky or ugly about it.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:28:03 am »
Personally i'd round the edges of the fades so that the riser's ends are a curve - but thats just me.
With the leather(?) handle if you cut it say 1/4 inch longer than it needs to be you can fold the edge under it's self then stitch which leaves a little 'ridge' that looks better and can be used as a hand posistion locator.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 07:19:42 am »
Certainly not 'tacky'... maybe a tad rustic.
To me comfort is the vital thing, but stuff that is right usually looks good too.
If pressed I'd say I think the grip looks a tad short. It stops a bit short of the arrow rest, but then I don't have rests on my bows so I expect the grip to go right up the arrow pass. Like Mike says a folded over gives a nice clean edge or conversely feather it down to a blended in edge. I think comfort and prformance is what makes me go back to a bow. If you can walk through the woods with it and barely know it's in your hand, and as you raise it it all falls in line... whoops oh I've got it upside down again :-[ ;)
Del
If you want tacky, you should tie on a bunch of horse feathers and stick sequins along the back. A row of hen's teeth round the grip top and bottom would help too.. if that's not enough them maybe a picture of Rambo on a Harley on the lower limb ::)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:33:43 am »
No rhinestone bedazzled leopard skin?  I'm let down. ::)
IMHO, handle wraps are a great detail to a bow but how they feel is king.  If it doesn't slide, slip and goes unnoticed when shooting then looks should come in.  Personally I'm against the dangling lace with beads and stuff.  It's a distraction when the bow is in use.
1’—>1’

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »
That is feo... feo.... Super ugly.. You better send it to me so I can hide it in my closet ;D

Sweet looking bow in all honesty.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:55 pm »
i was wondering what you backed the bow with...john

TurtleCreek

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:01:11 pm »
Looks like a burlap backing?

Offline johnston

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 02:53:22 pm »
Nailed it TurtleCreek. And I wasn't smart enough to go buy a piece at a fabric store. Got mine at the feed store and
washed that fuzzy sucker. More on that if I post the bow.

Just can't tolerate the tangling stuff it has to go. Did mink oil the leather and it looks better. This is the first time I
have put a pad underneath and it wanted to slip. Messed up the stitching some trying to pull it tight but it ain't
slipping.

Lane

TurtleCreek

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 03:05:02 pm »
  As long as it's a shooter, looks don't matter much to me

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 04:28:24 pm »

does it come it Black?  :D :D :D

Offline coaster500

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 07:26:48 pm »
Hmmmm, how's it shoot? How's it feel in your hand? Doesn't look tacky to me, looks like a grip :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline cracker

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 11:10:26 pm »
The only thing I'd change would be to taper the edges of the leather a bit to relieve the square corner other than that it's good to go. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?