Author Topic: Juniper bow  (Read 11813 times)

Offline bowsandroses

Juniper bow
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:53:08 am »
This one piece Juniper bow is raw hide backed 54" ntn 50# @27" limbs are 2" wide for 6" tapering to 3/8" at string notch. I used the backing because of the twist at end of the top limb the heart wood shows it well. Bow is loaded with knots through out and the heart runs through the handle giving it plenty of character. On the raw hide I had my daughter, use her artistic quality, and write the name I gave the bow on the top limb after the place I got the limb to make it. On the bottom limb I had her write a poem I made up to give the bow my personal character. The bow has elk antler tip protectors and a piece of antler on the handle to hide the splice between top and bottom rawhide strips. this bow is smooth, quick and short, fashioned for my winter black tail hunt. This is truly the best bow I've built for my self my daughters Yew bow and sons Juniper bows are the only two that even come close. I have shot around 500 shots so far.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Re: Juniper bow
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:16:58 am »
very very cool bow. definately something to be proud of. for some reason those bends remind me of a composite horn bow.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:58:10 am »
Thanks LEGIONNAIRE: I think it has that horn bow effect because as the limbs reach the near vertical possition at the tips, it forces the bend heavy to the mid limb. When my 5' 1" wife draws the bow it has a much more even bend through the limbs, more like we're used to seeing in european and native american styled bows. With my 27.5" draw this 54" bow is drawing a hair over 50% of its length pretty spooky by normal standards

Hugh Ridenour

Offline TBod

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 06:01:00 am »
Very nice!

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 06:20:11 am »
Yes that is quite a draw length from such a short bow.
A few pointers for you - the upper limb is weaker than the lower limb this is the reason for the extra set in it when unstrung. I would definately have got it bending much closer to the handle/fades. Most of the 'work' is being done in the outer limbs. Can you see how the angle between the string and tip is well over 90 degs? A bow will start to stack when this angle approaches 90 deg which leds to low energy storage and an uncomfortable draw. If your bow bent closer to the handle this effect would be reduced.
If you are trying to get this drwlength from such a short stave again it would be better to make a d-bow where the handle is part of the working limb. You can still 'build up' handles in this style of bow to fit your hand.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:07:57 am »
Very pretty wood

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 07:41:02 am »
Beautiful wood,lots of bend for such a short stick. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:46:21 am »
Nice looking bow!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 11:10:27 am »
Cool bow and welcome to PA.  Look forward to seeing more things, that Juniper sure is pretty.  Nice arra too.
1’—>1’

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
Lot of pretty work on this bow and it is beautiful.

Gotta ask...You obviously know what you are doing and yet like mikekeswick said the bow is way stiff coming out of the fades
 and the last third of the limbs is scary. Not cool scary, just scary. I assume you wanted this "design" but why?

Pretty bow. Love the grip.

Lane

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 11:44:54 am »
Pretty wood  :o...that bend+juniper=saftey glasses required

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:24:28 pm »
Thanks guys points well taken. The tiller is purposely done so the string is closer to bottom limb at brace same tiller measure as taught by "John Stunk" though I admit it stands out far more in this 54" bow than in my 62" bow it still shoots smooth and quick. However this has made me wonder if maybe when going this short it would work better to lessen these dynamics maybe by %, I don't no. I definitely hear you on the stack though and without doubt agree on the handle being at least a betterdesign for something this short. I am interested in the thought of putting more bend in the inner limb next bow I'll have to experiment.  ;) As for bad spooky naaaa!!! its tough it takes it so far and my toes are crossed as I shoot. :laugh: Here is a picture of my wife drawing the bow looks better. ;)

Hugh Ridenour

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 04:19:55 pm »
First of all congratulations. Juniper is a great bow wood yet I have to agree with some of the warnings. The "very unsafe part"  is that your string angle is beyond 90 deg. and that is potential for the string to come off.  As far as the Strunk method for tillering it is common practice with most all bowyers to have somewhere from 0-1/8 positive tiller on the bottom limb. I know John well and he is a great bowyer yet a slight positive tiller method has been around for thousands of years.
 That is a very beautiful bow and the wood grain is one of the things I love about juniper.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:32 am »
Thanks keenan: I agree on the juniper however my favorite part is its elasticity and desire to get back to original shape when released, makes a fast bow. As for the hazards yeah I know, but I had a book along time ago, before I took the John strunk work shop, that said a bow would bend 50% of its length. So, being my red blooded American mut self, I had to try especialy after so many people said juniper would not make a good bow. >:D This is my third juniper bow all of wich are great bows. my second succesful short bow the other is my daughters Yew bow. I made a few other unsuccesful attempts with a few different hard woods that did not turn out so well. I guess some people like to push their luck with machines and I prefer sticks. so I guess ( Don't try this at home folks ) could be apropriate. ;D

Hugh Ridenour

Offline Gaur

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 01:39:15 am »
amazing that that wood will do.  Just rawhide no sinew right? 

I also cringed when I saw the first full draw picture kind of waiting for it to explode while looking at the picture.  Thanks for sharing.  Since you've put over 500 arrows through it, it seems to be holding.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2