Author Topic: primitive arrows for grouse  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Blacktail

primitive arrows for grouse
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:50:52 pm »
i dont know where to put this but here it is..i want to make some primitive arrows for grouse..BUT,i dont know if it would be better to stick an arrow in them or use a blunt...i was thinking of making a blunt but the head is so small...so what would be a good tip for them...thanks john

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: primitive arrows for grouse
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:17:28 am »
I'm thinking of making some blunts like Marc put in the second last issue of PA.  My dad used to hunt grouse with a slingshot as a kid, and he says he never went for head shots; if you break their wing it also winds them and you can easily catch them and wring their necks.  And you don't wreck any of the breast meat with arrow shafts passing through.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:02:28 am »
John a simple but very effective small game head is a nutter. It is just a 3/8" hex nut screwed on the tapered end of the shaft, same taper as a glue on point.  The point of the taper penetrates a little and the nut thumps the heck out of them. I've killed squirrels with them so it should work fine on a grouse.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 01:03:48 am »
Well, I guess a hex nut isn't primitive.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 05:08:36 am »
I know they're not primitive, but I use judo points. They hit very hard, and are almost impossible to lose.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:05:26 am »
tyr a ishy small game point. I think there is a topic small game heads.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:22 am »
here you go it is the criss cross point the first wooden point on the page. If it worked for ishy then i think it will work for you.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18715.0.html

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 02:37:15 pm »
here you go it is the criss cross point the first wooden point on the page. If it worked for ishy then i think it will work for you.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18715.0.html

The criss-cross point should work well for breaking a wing, but you better make like a sprinter to catch hem quick before they dash on you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 03:21:46 pm »
Heck, use some of your smaller knapped points.  (bird points)  If you are worried about pass through or weight, wrap behind the point w/ copper wire.  It will add weight and fatten up the shaft a little to inhibit penetration. 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline 1ahBprimitive

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 12:17:08 am »
i'v used 5/16 and 3/8 wing nuts ;) the big heavy kind but they are only good for under 20 yards though and do they pack a wallop :o
all animals are tasty
some animals are more tasty than others