Author Topic: "Sister Sioux"- the start of a bow for my stepdaughter  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Bryce H

"Sister Sioux"- the start of a bow for my stepdaughter
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:27:53 am »
I fell victim to impatience, and I couldn't wait to get started on another bow. This piece of oak wasn't entirely seasoned, but as I said, I became impatient.  >:D

I took some notes from the TBB, Vol. 3. On the seasoning of a stave in two weeks. So...I thought I'd try it. I've taken it down, leaving extra on  to help prevent too much warpage. The propeller twist and the relex were already natural in the stave; I'll take out the twist later on. I am naming it "Sister Sioux"; the other stave I got from the log is destined for my son, and will be "Brother Sioux". I'll be taking more pictures as I go along, and I hope my impatience doesn't cost me, but I wanted to make a bow and I couldn't wait for the two fresh osage logs to season before I started on another.

Now she's inside to dry. I'm not sure what poundage I'm going to aim for, that'll depend on how much she can take and the wood can take. But it will probably be fairly low, as she's never shot a bow before so I thought I'd give her something she can play around with for a while.