Author Topic: Eastern woodlands type thing???  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Eastern woodlands type thing???
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:50:56 pm »
Well, I got so caught up in posting my sons bow yesterday that I forgot to put this one on here.
Osage, 51" ntn, draws around 45# @ 25" or so. I did this one without the aid of a tillering tree. I just floor tillered and then held the handle close to my cheek while pushing the string away from me while sighting down the side of the limb. Tried to do it as primitive as I could. It does make it harder to see where it needs to bend from limb to limb though.
Just some plain leather wrapped around the handle, turkey feather, made the beads myself out of wood, used a turkey beard on the upper limb, attached with sinew and pitch.
It's an inch wide at the handle and for most of it's length then the knocks are just under 3/4"
wanted to heat straighten it but decided against it later.
Finished with Peanut oil and wax, just because that was the most natural stuff I had.
Don't really know if it's any certain style or not, I just started making it and this is what came of it.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Eastern woodlands type thing???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 05:55:02 pm »
Very nice bow!  You have been busy. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 05:59:27 pm »
looks good to me , stick something with it !

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »
sweet little stick, thats my favorite type of bow by far. Something purly primitive about them. Great Job.

Jon

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:48:30 pm »
Looking real good, Commodore!  I especially like the turkey beard on the upper limb!  I used my first (only) turkey beard for the same purpose. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:38:13 am »
Mark, really nice bow there !!!! that cross-section and bend profile is about how most of the "eastern woodland" bows look....a thin flat rectangle....nicely done. The draw weight is also typical according to my NA friends....
rich

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 03:35:31 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys!
Rich; You know better than anyone I know what to look for on one of these. It is because of your bows I wanted to get one of these under my belt, Thanks.

Ken: No chance to get this one into the woods for myself, my dad's driving partner wanted it so it's now his. I got more yellow wood to make one for myself though!

Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 03:46:57 pm »
These simple Eastern Woodland style bows are some of my favorites and you sure did a nice job of this one. Its amazing how well they shoot. Most folks would doubt it though just by looking at it. It looks too simple to be effective. I'd bet they wouldn't want to be on the quarry's side of that bow!  ;)
  I now own 3 of Rich's Eastern woodland styles and love all three. I haven't had much time to shoot any of my bows lately much less go hunting but the bows Rich sent me all shoot very well. I'm gonna make a typical set of arrows for each one at some point. Thanks again Rich! I have them in a place of honor.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 04:03:40 pm »
Crap, now ya got me all red Pat.... They wasn't nothin special as you well know. I just hope the last one has enough umph for ya.......Just now gettin back from serious family stuff and come Sunday I'm out to "go amoungst 'em" for 4 days so hope to see a few.

I'm gonna see what a 47" no frills short bow at 50# does to em. But ya know what they say about the best layed plans.....eh?
rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 04:51:11 pm »
Rich, the mulberry bow is perfect. It even lets me know when I'm at full draw.  ;)  Can't wait to get arrows made for it.
Didn't mean to hyjack your thread Commadore  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC