Author Topic: Stones in Iowa  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Stones in Iowa
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:42:37 am »
Hi,

I live in Iowa around the Red rock lake region.  I'm wondering what there is in the area to knap and how to identify it. 

I have been poking through my rock garden and knocking a few stones togeather and generating shards and flakes which ofcourse I drop and loose (except the one that went inside my sandle and wedged between toes) imediately.

do you need large pieces to make a head with?  I have this brown stuff that is kinda dense and shiny and sometimes makes nice flakes in fist sized pieces.  I had some other stuff that was cool looking but seems to break in crazy patterns.  Some edges are sharp and others not.  It looks like a fine limestone with a rust line in it. 

If it's got a cortex on it it just looks like rock.  How do you tell what you are holding?  what is good for making tips with and where to probably look for it?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Stones in Iowa
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »
Don't know a thing about Iowa. I can send you some spalls of obsidian to get ya workin'.   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 12:46:05 pm »
I've been watching videos on knapping and there is something I don't understand.  You see them take a big rock and start banging large flakes off of it like crazy.  I understand removing the cortex.  But after that are they just trying to make a bunch of smaller blanks or is there allot of waste in this endevor?

I see big flakes getting pushed or set aside and I'm thinking "can't you make a point from those"? 

What would you want in return?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:24:23 pm »
I live in ioua a couple hours away if you come over I will show all you what I know about iowa rock and where to find it in your area or you can go to the iowa web site and look it up. I have a link that I will look up and send it as a pm. But it would work better if you came over and I could show you how the layers are set out.  I know that there is good stone in your area because we share the same formation if I am not mistaken.  I can also show you a little. About cooking the rock and what rock will work without cooking.  I will also send you home with some rock.  Plus you can show me those bows you have been making. Maybe we can get beadman and stingman to come at the same time and do a small knapin
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:41:20 pm »
PM sent it is what was sent to me by a PA member that helped me so much.  It did take me a couple of months to figure out how to identify the good from the bad.  I have a very wide range of flint type and with each type a range of quality.  I am finding that I can even walk past landscape rock in front of store and without calling to much attention to myself swipe a good piece without having to hit the stuff hehe.  I don't do that offten because I have all I need at home.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:53:09 pm »
PB, you've been hooked up w/ the right man.  ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 09:50:53 pm »
Man that sounds like a good day! But this fall is gonna be tight. I would have a better chance this coming spring.