Main Discussion Area > Arrows

cedar or fir

<< < (2/2)

PeteC:
Butch,all the other guys replies may be right on,but my guess,since it's in OK.,that it could be eastern red cedar,which is a very tough wood,and also makes strong,heavy spined arrows.I live in E. Texas,but many old home places around here have used ERC in construction,especially porch posts.I still see some trees in the 60' range that are straight,both the bark,and the trunk itself,and the bottom limbs 20'-25' from the ground,which would make for a very clean piece of timber. God Bless,  Pete C

butch:
thanks pete,  at last i learned what ERC means. now if i can learn what those letters on the bowsite stand for. somewhere in TBB #1 there is a test for bow wood useing a 1/4" strip of wood and i ran a piece of this thru the test , i was suprised  at its qualities. it might make a backed bow.

thanks for the blessing to..
                  butch

PeteC:
If it is ERC,it will make a good backed bow.Just steer clear of knots.Man that cedar can explode if it decides to fail!! God Bless,Pete C

Justin Snyder:
Trick question.....   Western Redcedar (two words not three) is not a cedar.  It is a cypress.  It grows along the coastal region of the NW and up to Alaska.  I would wager you have a ERC  which is not a cedar either.  :D  It is a juniper.  Justin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version