Author Topic: Open Heart Surgery/Out for the Season  (Read 1870 times)

Offline tgr

Open Heart Surgery/Out for the Season
« on: November 07, 2011, 08:05:56 pm »
Hello all:  I recently had emergency bypass surgery (the night before opening day in Southern NY.  I'm told that I would probably be back to normal after 3 months.  I'm 51.  Has anyone had a similar situation and how long did it take to pull a bow back and feel confident again?

Any comments are welcome. 
THanks

TOm R

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Open Heart Surgery/Out for the Season
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:10:27 pm »
Tom, sorry to hear about your heart troubles. Fortunately I have never had that problem but I'd say to do what the DR says and get back in shape as soon as possible. Ask him how long before you can draw a bow. I think you will have to start out with a light weight bow and work your way back up to your normal draw weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:31:21 pm »
I had aortic valve replacement surgery exactly one year ago... it cut my season short last year.  If they had to cut your sternum then at least 6 weeks to draw a bow.  I made a lighter weight bow to come back on so i started back with a 45 lb bow and worked back up to my 55-60 lb bows.  I think the worst part of the whole situation was not being able to cough without feeling like your chest was going to open up and you are going to rip in half.  I'm 30 by the way I don't know if that makes a difference but make sure you discuss all exercises and strenuous activities with your doctor BEFORE you do them.  I hear that doing too much too soon can lead to opening your sternum back up and not only would that be excruciatingly painful but you would also have to start the healing process all over again..  Good luck and hope you get to feeling better!  It is a tough road but it sounds like you are over the worst part already!  :) :) :) :) :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:32:50 pm »
We are all wishing you a fast and safe recovery, Tom!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tgr

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:31 pm »
Thanks guys:  Well I have no intention of hunting this year.  Maybe some squirrel with a 22 in Feb.  THats the best I can do.

I'm not going to rush this thing and I am resigned that this season is a wash.  THat hurts!  Healing and being around for my family is the main focus. 

TR

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:05:04 pm »
It stinks that you are going to miss out on hunting season.  At least you get to heal during winter when it is cold.  I would hate to be layed up during spring or summer when its nice outside.  Like mentioned above, listen to your doctor on the recovery.  Good luck. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline tgr

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 10:46:34 pm »
On a positive note, I'll have to limit my intake of red meat and animal products.  Venison is listed as one of the low fat meats.  So I guess I'll have to eat more deer meat and less beef and pork.

Offline johnston

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 10:55:34 pm »
Tom, sorry to hear about the heart trouble. I guess missing one season to get many more is a good deal though.
If you don't have a light rehab bow I would be happy to build you one.

Lane

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 11:28:12 pm »
Tr, Sorry to hear about your season but on a good note you will live to hunt again!, I had my chest split for a aortic aneurysm repair and yes take at least 8 weeks before doing anything beyond a gallon of milk. I made the mistake of thinking that I was well enough to feed the horses after six weeks and all the sudden my chest was flexing at the cut like a Cerf cut board. Then the doc said that is just what it is, because it heals from the inside out. Set me back several more weeks.
 Mine was five years ago at age 45. Go easy and think how sweet next year will be. ;)

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 01:21:05 am »
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Kpete

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »
Sorry for the trouble but the good thing is that you will be around to hunt next year!  Blessings on a speedy recovery.
Kirk

Offline Dazv

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 06:46:48 pm »
I hope you get better soon mate take it easy.