Author Topic: sebastian's bow...  (Read 11619 times)

Offline medicinewheel

sebastian's bow...
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:00:15 pm »
this is sebastian; he's a student at cologne music college where i teach composition. he's a great saxophone player.
on a bandclinic i got him infected with the archery virus. today he came along to start making a bow. i had tapered and roughed out a black walnut slat and although a hickory backing for him, so he did the final shaping in the afternoon and i introduced him to the japanese rope-and-wedges gluingmethod. the blank is now curing in the hotbox.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:23:53 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: sebastian's bow...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:21:22 pm »
Can't wait till you unveil it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:51:19 pm »
I recall you mentioned you are a composer. I was a music student, doubled on sax, but was an oboist and also an arranger. Good to see more musicians are making bows! Have you introduced Sebastian to the pleasures of serialism yet? :) Those tone rows were fun to play with, pity I didn't write any of that kind of music that made any sense, however!

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:14:21 pm »
Way to go frank spreading this infectious disease we suffer from far wide ;D I hope he knows its incurable ;)

Can't wait to see the finished bow. And make sure to tell Sebastian "welcome to the community"
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:28:30 am »
I recall you mentioned you are a composer. I was a music student, doubled on sax, but was an oboist and also an arranger. Good to see more musicians are making bows! Have you introduced Sebastian to the pleasures of serialism yet? :) Those tone rows were fun to play with, pity I didn't write any of that kind of music that made any sense, however!

hey that's great to hear: i play woodwinds, too, mostly flute and bass saxophone. sebastian played in several big bands i was leading, and we travelled southeast-asia together. i DID write serial stuff for the big band. bob brookmeyer was my mentor.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 01:32:57 am »
Way to go frank spreading this infectious disease we suffer from far wide ;D I hope he knows its incurable ;)

Can't wait to see the finished bow. And make sure to tell Sebastian "welcome to the community"

he right away could handle the bow and shot quite good when he first X had one in his hands. i will tell him welcome!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 04:15:07 am »
Hi,  I don't see the conection between bow making and serialism, but what the heck do I know.  I'm just a mediocre reed player.  The bow sounds like it could be interesting.  Good luck to Sebastian.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:24:40 pm »
Hi,  I don't see the conection between bow making and serialism, but what the heck do I know.  I'm just a mediocre reed player.  The bow sounds like it could be interesting.  Good luck to Sebastian.   Ron

dang LOTS of woodwinds around on this forum!!! - well i tell you composition and bowmaking have lots of things in common!

we unveiled the stave and glued on a purpleheart and wenge riser. the glueline is perfect; as usual with this method.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 07:43:06 pm »
Double reeds rule! Of course :)

And for you violists out there, what is the difference between a violin and a viola? Violas burn longer. :)

I'm going to try out that technique soon, for my composite bow, and look forward to the results. One less thing to worry about in a daunting project.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 03:37:40 am »

dane!  -  make sure you use presure plates on both sides; bamboo or plastic stripes will do! - i'm preparing a buils-along for that method together with a friend, but this will last till it's done...
frank

ps: what's the difference between a dead snake and a dead trombone-player on the road? ......... the snake may have been on the way to a gig.
Frank from Germany...

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 03:46:42 am »
Dane,   The joke I always hear is;   " What is an oboe good for?"   "They make great kindling for burning bassoons!"
I've tried the rope and wedge technique.  It looks weird, but works well at producing nice glue lines.   Sebastian looks like he's having fun too.
Ron :

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 05:46:02 am »

dane!  -  make sure you use presure plates on both sides; bamboo or plastic stripes will do! - i'm preparing a buils-along for that method together with a friend, but this will last till it's done...
frank

ps: what's the difference between a dead snake and a dead trombone-player on the road? ......... the snake may have been on the way to a gig.

Looking forward to the buildalong. In the meantime....how many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb? 3. One to do it, and 2 to say "I can do that."

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 05:49:50 am »
Dane,   The joke I always hear is;   " What is an oboe good for?"   "They make great kindling for burning bassoons!"
I've tried the rope and wedge technique.  It looks weird, but works well at producing nice glue lines.   Sebastian looks like he's having fun too.
Ron :

I am impressed with the technique. Ron. The pressure it produces seems tremendous.

Lol on the joke. Here is one: An oboist and a violist are in a huge fist fight in the middle of a rehersal. The conductor breaks it up, and says gentlemen, what IS the problem? The oboist says "he broke my reed!" Why did you do that, the conductor asks? The violist says, "well, he broke one of my stings, but he wont tell me which one."

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 07:00:04 am »

i use a twisted sisal rope at the moment and it's strecheing a bit to much for the job, but anyway: if i glue up to pieces of the same wood i cannot find the glueline. no kidding! a simple no-twisted seems perfect!

....how does a female singer change a lightbulb?? - she holds up the lightbulb and the whole world rotates around her.

well, maybe we should start an extra thread for the musicainjokes?!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ....... are there any bowyerjokes????

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 03:12:32 am »
Hi, Haven't heard any bowyer jokes, but there are about twenty million muscian jokes.   
'What's the difference between a professional bass player and a large pepperoni pizza?"   "You can count on the pizza to feed a family of four."
Though come to think of it maybe it would work if you substituted "primitive bowyer" for "bass player". :D
Ron