Author Topic: Recurve fever!  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Recurve fever!
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:16:58 am »
Ok,

So I've been keeping the Osage bow with laminated recurved tips in the back of my hed for a future day project.  Then I see medicine wheels recurve and I start fixating on the fact that I haven't done a recurve yet.

Must rectifiy this situation.

I have a TON of hard maple that is straight.  Think it will handle a recurve?  Any tips to improve success?

I also have several strips of of hickory that come of my bellies from the last several reflex-deflex bows Ive done.  I could tri lam those into a recurve shape.

I'm also considering using the printed copperhead backing that Rudder bows has.  What kind of overal length and limb widh would be best?  For a first recurve are there any suggestions?

mikekeswick

Re: Recurve fever!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:44:33 am »
Pick a pipe straight stave - it will help with stability issues.
Don't make the curves too long - shortens working limb and reduces efficency and stability.
If using maple then go for 2 inch wide parallel width to mid limb (or further)then taper to the tips. This will help with stability but you must use elliptical tiller.
Don't add much reflex until you've got more experience with them.
Heat treating will be your friend - make a simple form that you can clamp your recurves to so they don't 'uncurl' when treating.
Good luck.