Author Topic: Osage ID?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Jimbob

Re: Osage ID?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 01:19:38 am »
Thanks guys, I love the wealth of knowledge on here.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 01:29:16 am »
Even an all sapwood, 2" osage pole will make a hunting weight bow. Add a bit of heartwood and you have great hunting bow material. I have 1/2 of a 2" pole drying now with 1/8" to 3/16" of sapwood and the core heartwood. Gonna be a great bow. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 01:32:42 am »
Thats pretty cool Pat, I cant wait for my days off to roll around, which is in about 8 hours or so.  I'll be hittin the woods to look for a Good candidate.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 02:05:27 am »
I may have to try that.  I kept about a 4" osage character billet I split in half and intended to splice into a nice character bow.  One of the 2 billets checked dead center and the crack ran in over a foot.  No way I'm gonna be able to splice that one, but I could finish that split and make a sapwood/heartwood bow out of those 2 quarters.  For sure there isn't enough heartwood  for a heartwood bow, but if I use some sapwood...might make a nice bow (or 2).

Sorry for the hijack Jimbob.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 02:19:32 am »
  I took a 2" pole and after studying it I bandsawed it in half lengthwise. I then bound the 2 halves back together with rope and small wood spacers between them for good air circulation. I kept them bound together for about 6 months then released them. Both stayed flat! When I work the stave I will induce some backset  so I can control it somewhat. I get better results manipulating the wood into reflex than depending on nature to do it for me, in most cases.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC