Author Topic: Arrow Rest On Selfbows?  (Read 18356 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow Rest On Selfbows?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 04:36:03 pm »
Ideally, you should leave the tips thick and wide from the start. When making a bow, the tips and handle areas are the last place I work before its all done. That way I can make corrections after the bow is strung for the first time or even after it is shot.
   I make the last 6" of each limb tip static(non-bending) I start the taper there and go out past the string grooves. This last 6" to 8" is where the extra weight effects the hand shock. Everything beyond the string grooves is dead weight also so most of it can be reduced. There is no pressure beyond the string grooves anyway.
   You probably can add long wedges to the tips(as overlays) on this bow to beef up the thinner tips. Any good hardwood will work. Make the wedges about 4" long(thick end towards the tips) and be sure the glue mating surfaces are flat and well matched for good glue adherences ....or leave this bow alone and make another using thick, narrow tips. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

tradrick

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 04:49:12 pm »
Thanks for all your help PatB its been another learning expirence.tradrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 06:21:14 pm »
After about 20 years of building wood bows I still have learning experiences ::)...but when I quit learning it will be time to plant me! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Loki

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 07:58:51 pm »
I prefer shooting of my hand rather than a shelf,good job really since you dont get shelfes on the Bows i mainly shoot  ;D.
If you cut the quils down and wrap them you shouldnt get any damage to your hand.
Durham,England