Author Topic: What did you name your bow & why?  (Read 20999 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: What did you name your bow & why?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 02:48:40 pm »
Most of mine just end up being called "dammit!".
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

TurtleCreek

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 06:05:58 am »
  Got a short hickory D bow that'll be ready for tillering here shortly that I am naming "Under Dog".  When I got the piece of wood I worked it a little to fast at the beginning and screwed up on it and threw it in the pile to be turned into firewood, I basically gave up on it.  Then about a week or so ago I  picked that piece out of the trash pile to practice shaping tips and filing string grooves.  To make a long story short, that piece of wood I gave up on not too long ago has been given a new life and is shaping up to be one sharp lookin' little bow.  I slowed my pace down considerably giving the bow a second chance and I am glad I did.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 11:56:01 am »
Being new to this I just name them after the wood they came from and the order they are built, Mulberry #1, Kentucky Coffee #2 and now Hackberry #3...  Hopfully after 8 maybe 10 bow I'll start giving them different names but right now I have a Vine Maple, ERC, Hickory, Osage and a Sassafras staves to play. Hope I can get them from stave to bow to name them :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 12:13:30 pm »
I named my wifes bow "purple haze"  because it was as purple as could be and I'm a Jimi Hendrix fan.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 11:28:31 pm »
I only started naming them recently.  All ladies names or monikers.

(1) Grace - 70" skinny longbow with gentle R/D tiny anterly overlays in hickory and walnut and bamboo.  Becasue she was so long and graceful.

(2) Jane -  Sold to a friend a 66" copy of Grace.  Minus the antler.  turned out Jane was not so plain.  She flings an arrow with determination.

(3) Sweetheart- My R/D hickory and bamboo backed bow.  Spent months working towards my spin on a Konrad Voegelle style bow and got it with her.  Love how she shoots, feels and looks.  Tried to sleep with her but wife said I was crazy.

(4) Trouble - copy of sweetheart but a little fancier and more sexy.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 02:56:13 am »
I have one that was the worst of three osage cores.  I made it short to shoot from a blind.  I named it "the blind sow".  I is a lot more "beautiful" now.  2 arrows  shot at game and a gobbler and a buck in the bag.  So...."The blind sow found an "acorn."

Offline dbb

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 10:21:52 am »
I have only named one so far,my first. Her name is cloud as she remind me of the markings of a clouded leopard in lightgrey and black.
Its cool to hear the reasoning behind the names and when i read about JWs "One Good Piece of Ash" i could almost hear Sean Connory say it :laugh:

/Mikael 
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline adb

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 01:36:35 pm »
I name all my bows. Most seem to have a Medieval slant of some sort. 'King Slayer', 'Widow Maker', 'King Maker', Executioner', 'Punisher'. I named a couple of snakeskin backed bows 'Viper', 'Rattler', 'Venom'. My second yew bow was 'U2'. The name just seems to come, if I don't think about it too much!

Offline wolfman6

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 06:05:05 am »
 I just finished my first ever bow and i'm inclined to dub her Pain. She's made from hickory and it makes my hands hurt just thinking about my draw knife and farriers rasp. I also died her red with leather dye to symbolize my effort, pain and being my first bow. I wouldnt ask for a second of it back and am fondly enjoying my current project of vine maple and look forward to tackling osage soon.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 11:20:15 am »
Most of mine just end up being called "dammit!".

ROFL !  Ha ha ha ha!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 01:15:12 pm »
I named my first decent bow "self medication" because it was a self bow and I noticed my beer consumption dropped from the time spent learning to make it. ;D
All the rest have been called "bow".
1’—>1’

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 04:20:39 pm »
Just posted pics of my latest that I considered calling "trouble". . . but 2nd guessing that now.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 10:03:03 am »
Most of the time it will come to me in the building process,if not I mark the weight,sign it and move on. :) If I try to think up a name it always seems kind of lame. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Grunt

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 10:08:28 am »
I number my bows. Sometimes they get a number and a name. I've just finished shooting in a BBO re/de that I have numbered 63 and named "Shameless". The bow is named after a woman I once knew and on this forum I cannot tell how Shameless Sharon Kolowski earned her name. But I remember. Oh boy!!!!!

Offline miketurner

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 10:44:56 am »
although the bow isn't finished but when I put the bottom of in on my toe and then the top limb goes exactly to my eye, so I think I  will call her the eye to toe bow. after she earns her name that is . don't want to jinx it.