Author Topic: What did you name your bow & why?  (Read 20994 times)

Offline iowabow

What did you name your bow & why?
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:32:11 pm »
I was trying to think of a name for the bow that killed my first buck and wondered what other people named their bows.  My fist buck had a mushroom top for an antler. So I. Thought "lil Toadstool" or "Finally" or "28 shots" or "buck stops here"
My 43 lbs bow was made from a 72" bow that I remade into a 62" bow so I called that one "Two bows"
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Stringman

Re: What did you name your bow & why?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 01:09:38 pm »
My most recent bow I named "Ole Ugly." It had one nice snakey half and the other side almost perfectly straight. I'm kinda fond of the look now, butin the middle of the summer I wasn't sure...

For newly blooded bow, how bout the "3 B's," or "BB bow" for button buck bow.

I just read your thread last night and was sitting in the stand myself. Gotta say I'm proud of you for hanging in there and giving it a good solid effort. My story would have read much the same. Glad it worked out for ya.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 01:40:11 pm »
The name of my english longbow is Hornet.  The colors of the materials that it is made of (bamboo, epe, osage, dark horn nocks) closely match the colors of a small species of hornet which lives here (Maryland).  When I was trying to find a good name for this bow I saw one of these hornets attack and decapitate a much larger dragonfly.  I guess the fierceness of that little insect made an impression.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 01:42:47 pm »
Maybe B4 my last name is Bybee
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »
Generally my bows name themselves. On my hunting bow I made last year and am still using this year no name came to me for over a year until one day I noticed one ot the elk tip overlays had disappeared. In my box or antlers and horns  found a small wedge od American Bison horn so I shaped it and glued it on...then her name came to me..."Two Tips".
"Marilyn" was the name of an osage selfbow I treated with Chlorox to add a patina, "Holy Moley" has a hole in it's upper limb, for "Cinco de Mayo", she was either completed on May 5th or I was drinking a Carona when I finished her, "Pole Cat" is a bow I made from a 2" diameter osage pole. "Trouble Maker, handle with care" is a boo backed hickory that fretted so I added osage belly lam but it came apart at the handle so I wrapped the handle then the fades started lifting so I wrapped the fades. I still shoot this bow after 5 or 6 years of trouble. She was my back-up bow on my Colorado elk hunt with Kenneth this year.
  There are many other bows I've named and all of them told me what they wanted to be called.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »
I name my bows based on there characteristics, or shooting speeds. I have named a bow "Screaming eagle" because at the time I made i it was my fastest bow, "Sweet dreams" since it was a bow that met many of my ideal qualities, "Little snake" due to its snakey limbs, and "Old faithful" since that bow has lasted longer than most. For "Screaming eagle" and Little snake the names are in native tongues, just gives it a little more primitive sound.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 03:01:52 pm »
  I'm like PAT I let my bows also name themselfs or earned a name. I had bows that I used that stayed nameless for months or I might be the next day.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:09:03 pm »
In 1999 I was given an Osage flatbow by a doctor friend.  It was given to him when he was a young teenager.  That bow is 76 yrs old and still shoots great.  When he gave it to me it looked like a piece of top quality jewelry.  I named it Treasure.  I still shoot Treasure and will hunt with it as soon as I get my bamboo arrows finished.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »
My favorate bows name is: ADAHY: Native American Cherokee name meaning "lives in the woods."

I also have one that I named: Wildcat Osage because the osage came from a person on the net that goes by that name.

I have one that is named: Few Indeed, since I have never seen another one anywhere like it.

My first ever bow that I made name is: First Try

TurtleCreek

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 04:29:02 pm »
  I have a white ash cherokee style of bow in the works that I plan on naming "Sasquatch" because it will be 68 inches long which is quite the bow length for my draw of 27 inches.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 05:19:44 pm »
I just posted a bow named "Old Flame", made for an old flame of mine...
Frank from Germany...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 06:07:13 pm »
Twister, 'cos it's twisted...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »
My first bow was a wide limbed narrow gripped green ash with a knothole just below the bottom fadeout.  It had a wonderful hourglass figure and the knothole was somewhat suggestive.  So I called her "One Good Piece of Ash". 

The other bow I named is sinew and snake backed osage.  The belly side has so many cracks that it is frightening.  In polite company she is called "Crack Addict", the other name will cause this post to be deleted.

Now a buddy of mine named his first yew ELB, "Embraceable Yew" because he couldn't keep his hands off it...until it blew.  The next yew ELB was called "U2" and it blew.  He then started a matched pair of yew ELBs named "Damn Yew" and "S###w Yew".  Those seem to hold up, but he keeps them both in his bathroom where the shower steam helps keep them hydrated.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bowyer3

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 08:06:00 pm »
named my first bow after man who told me of self long bow class and the teacher of the class - they both have the same name - Tony.  also name then after what happens - called broken one "dead".  Name some after Christian principles such as "Believe" or "Faith".

Bowyer3

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 02:42:22 pm »
Well, there was "fancy firewood", "purple haze", "focal point", "nightmare", "Indiana Jones"... There's a special piece of osage I haven't touched yet. It came from the famed Keebler osage that Timo harvested so many staves from. That one will probably be called "Elven Magic"