Author Topic: question about elderberry  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Blacktail

question about elderberry
« on: October 29, 2011, 01:28:14 am »
o.k. i know elderberry makes bows...but here in MT there is blue elderberry and black elderberry...so, does any one if one is better than the other...thanks john

Offline johnston

Re: question about elderberry
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:24:30 am »
John as I am sure you know the TBB ain't much help as they say to do the float test for SG. If above .50 go for it. Surely someone that knows
will post shortly but in the meantime you probably ought to send me a couple staves of each to test for ya ;D ::) O:).

Lane

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:15:17 pm »
Howdy,

I did a search and found that the SG of Elderberry is .50.  Go for it!

Enjoy,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 12:19:50 am »
I was also wondering about differences among the elderberry. In western Oregon we have red and blue.  I cut some blue the other day.  So I will find out at some point down the road if blue is any good. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 12:59:34 am »
cmb,since you said you live in western oregon there is elderberry every over there...i am thinking it really dont matter if its blue or black...i really hope to find some this winter...john