Author Topic: Horn laminate  (Read 6844 times)

Offline JMcCauley

Re: Horn laminate
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »
I may end up making several bows at a time. I have nothing but time and I enjoy wood working. I may just start with an elm recurve using the guide in the archive or maybe an Osage self bow. Is water elm any good as bois d'arc?

Offline Gaur

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 06:29:19 pm »
doing several bows at once is a great way to go.  I would try a osage longbow and at the same time start researching making horn bows.  Get Adam's book as it is invaluable in guiding you through the complicated process.  It would seem silly to me to just try one and the failure rate would be almost guaranteed.  They are a complicated piece of work and making use of 1000's of years of stored knowledge would be good to help you be successful.  I've been reading, talking to people and am ready to try my first this winter.  I have been making self bows and laminated bows a few years now and am working up to a horn bow.

I live in Thailand and can get you water buffalo horns if you are interested.  I hand pick them with horn bows in made and find matching sets at a few of the local slaughter houses here.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:56 pm »
Cool Thread...

Reading Dr. Karpowzi's Book now, and collecting materials along the way towards some horn bows...
Also reading several other bow building books and watching several DVD's...

The Traditional Bowyers's Bible, four volume set is a Great investment. It will teach you A LOT and point you in many right directions (books and DVD's) for continuing reading.

Regards,

-gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX