Author Topic: Reasonable expectation?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline zdogk9

Reasonable expectation?
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:00:20 pm »
Well I'm bored, it's between early archery early muzzle loader and modern firearm season, elk is a month away. The chunk of chittum I cut is takin' it's own sweet time drying. SO, the idea of making a mollegabet is rattlin' around (with room to spare) my brain, to this end last trip to homie depot I picked up a piece of red oak. With steam and reducing the thickness to 1/2" I could with no problems make a 17 X 20" cockpit rim for one of my kayaks. Is it reasonable to shoot for 30-35# at 31" draw? finished length will be 68" since there was a bit of ick in the last couple of inches of the 6' board I got.
Thanks,
Z

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Reasonable expectation?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 11:22:04 pm »
I think you could get away with that low of draw weight... You have to make the working part of a Molle limb long for oak, since it chrysals easily... I built a 62" oak Molle that had 14" working limbs... It chrysaled badly and broke within 5000 shots...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:28:11 pm »
Hey Z, need a piece of Osage to cure your woes?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:41:10 pm »
Hey lee I think my woes might need a piece... That Osage has some medicinal properties...

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 05:15:10 am »
My experience with RO is that it takes a set before chrysaling.  I made a 66" molly from a 1.5 wide board.  Equal length limbs.  stiff out half of the limbs.  Took a big set before any chrysaling.  Just make sure you don't have any hinges and chrysals shouldn't be a problem.  You should see set before chrysals.

Offline paleryder

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:53:32 pm »
I've used the 1x2 red oak boards too for smaller D bows. They shoot great. I was just  thinking the other day about trying out a Molle over the winter. From what I'm reading here, the 1.5 width of a 1x2 is probably too narrow for a Molle with such short working limbs. Do you think 2" would cure that problem or is 2 1/2" needed?

Todd

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:47:50 pm »

Not sure if this'll work.
I see there is a hinge in the left limb about 1/3 of the way out from the handle fade and the right limb is looking a bit stiff. Need to remove wood from the outer 2/3s of right limb and a bit near the fades on the left?

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 08:14:13 am »

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »
I'm at 37# @ 28" at the moment,, I'd like to get at least 29" without gaining any weight 30" would be better. at the moment I have about 1/2" of string follow. I'm thinking that if I  soften the right limb a bit, any advice?

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:35:00 am »

Well it's still the 37@# at 29.5" which'll work. This is the first bow I've made since I took a green maple sapling and some net twine when I was about eight years old a long time ago.
I'd like to thank the members of this forum for being so free with their knowledge, without your kindness this would not have been possible.
Bob

Offline paleryder

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 12:48:23 am »
So, how does she shoot?

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 12:54:41 am »
Reasonably fast,Hits where I'm looking out to 20 yds. which is all I have in the back yard, I'm away for the next four days and then I'll go to the beach and see what it does for distance and how it shoots to 30-40 yds for accuracy. Kinda fun cutting the last ten dandelions in the yard with it.

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 09:13:02 pm »
OK, I've got about 3-400 arrows shot so far. The draw is smooth to the 29" I'm holding at, it is reasonably fast, and I like the heck out of it. BUT it is developing light chrysaling in the upper limb about 9" above my left hand in the photograph. bummer, one of the things I do is stick old arrows in the yard and shoot at them, I managed to hit three in a row between five and fifteen yards. Any suggestions for other wood, Homey Depot has red oak, the local lumber yard has that, walnut, and Western Big Leaf Maple. I'll go elk hunting in a couple of weeks, I figure if I bring the bow saw and start cutting vine maple and cascara I'll be stampeeded by the elks.

Offline paleryder

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 09:43:09 pm »
So what are the dimensions of the finished limbs?

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 10:10:59 pm »
69" nock to nock, 4" handle with 2" fades, 1 1/2" wide 16" long working portion and 2" fades into static tips which fade from 3/4" to 1/2" with a triangular cross section.