Author Topic: Sour wood shaft ready  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Sour wood shaft ready
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:29 am »
Turtle  ;) ;D ;D ;D  Started another one yesterday, I have been using a little thumb plane to de bark,but yesterday I tried a scraper,man that worked great. :) :) Got it down from 95lb spine to 65lb. in just a few minutes.  :)
Thanks Keenan /Sparrow/sonny   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 08:21:31 am »
Great looking arrow!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:47 pm »
Another nice thing about sourwood is you can scrape it as soon as you cut it and it will not check as it dries. Takes about a minute for each shaft. I have force dried some and had an arrow made in two days laying the sourwood under my wood stove to dry after scraping the bark off. I wouldn't trust an arrow that was made that quick but in an emergency you could easily hunt with it.
  For the best arrows slow drying over a year or more is what you want. Arrows made with slow dries sourwood stay straight and hit hard...even rocks and trees!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 10:28:22 pm »
Nice lookin' arrow, Pappy!  I've done a few arrows this year.  Changed from dipping and cresting...blah, blah, blah to the more primitive style.  I used to hate making arrows.  Now... I kinda like it. ??? :P :-\ ;D
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 07:09:18 am »
Ya it's fun and kind of relaxing,especially doing one at a time,I am just keeping one going all the time.Pat these have the bark left on,I traded for the several years ago from a guy up in N/W KY. probably  6 or 7 years at least but have been kept in the dry and seem very sound when I get the bark off. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 12:12:21 pm »
Those well cured sourwoods will make the best arrows Pappy. Most on mine are like that too but I have made a few with the "speed" method.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC