Author Topic: good paint for bows??  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Shondy55

good paint for bows??
« on: November 03, 2011, 03:46:10 pm »
what would be a good paint (prefferably black) to paint the backing on my bow, i backed it with  sheetrcok tape and wood glue i wanted to make it look a little cleaner... any ideas?
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: good paint for bows??
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 03:52:58 pm »
I recommend the stuff you use with a paintbrush or else get the stuff in the spray cans. 

My way if saying, "It's all good".  Well, with the exception of watercolors.  They might not last so long. 

I've used exterior house paint, spray paint, earth pigments mixed with hide glue, tempera, hobby acrylics, etc.  I've painted over the finish coat and put finish coat over the paint.  The only finish that didn't work was mixing polyurathane from a can and a spray lacquer, for some reason high heat and humidity caused the layers to turn cloudy and delaminate...whole finish was ruined.  (KYLE: Send it back so I can refinish it for you, I'll even cover postage fer cripes sakes!)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:39:24 am »
  I picked up an old recurve at a rummage sale once to make it over for a friend that wanted to try shooting a bow.  I took some steel wool to it to smooth it all out then I put a thin coat of matte olive green (Krylon spray can) over the entire thing.  I then took some painters tape and then wrapped it in a spiral from one end to the other and then back again making sure there were gaps in between the tape.  I then went over this with matte brown(Krylon spray can).  When it was dry, I removed the tape and it had a pretty cool looking camo type of zebra pattern to it.  Over this, I put 2 light coats of exterior satin polyurethane (spray can) over it for a little extra protection.  That was 6 years ago and the finish still looks good.  Hope this helps.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:42 am »
I pretty much abhor paint and I positively hate spray cans.
When I was a kid in the 60's we all had Lambretta scooters, most of the kids painted theirs with spray cans... I hand painted mine and got a much better finish. (I loved that scooter... :'(... my first taste of independance...girls in miniskirts...winning the world cup...sigh...)
Spray cans are expensive, wasteful, no quicker as you need umpteen coats and environmentally unsound. Other than that they are great.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:43:52 am »
Paper sheet rock tape or the fiberglass kind? It makes a huge difference. The paper kind will be easy to paint, the yellow crap is going to be hard to make look good no matter what kind of paint you use.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah