Author Topic: Headin' out! *updated pics*  (Read 10138 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: Headin' out! (few yellow wood pics added)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »
Was just wondering how your hunt went Pearly, now I know. Sorry to hear that you didn't bag your buck. Good to hear 'bout that yellow wood though.......Art

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 11:01:01 pm »
Hey P.D.
You should have rolled a couple of those logs out on your way past here , I love splitting wood !!
Tell Charley Maple hey for me !
Sounds like a good time even without getting a deer !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 10:14:06 am »
It was all the trip I could have asked for Guy. It was safe, fun and I met some GREAT people down there. Its always a good feeling meeting people farther away from home that are good people, reassuring is the word I guess. The world really is full of good people, its just the bad ones get all the publicity!

By the way I used deck stain to seal the ends and it almost has a rubbery feel to it. I think its going to work great and cost less than urethanes do. Give it a try if you have some leftover stain in the garage.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »
I wondered about deck stain as a sealant, but wasn't sure what all it had in it.  I didn't know if it would actually seal the wood.  Let me know how it works.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2011, 12:57:59 pm »
Clint I figured if I trust it to seal my deck from 14" of snow and ice it has to be able to seal osage ends stored in a dry basement. I dipped the whole end right into the can and let it dry for a few hours, then did the other end and stood it on end allowing the sealer to flow down into the end pores. Im thinking its fool proof...............
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2011, 01:04:36 pm »
I wondered about deck stain as a sealant, but wasn't sure what all it had in it.  I didn't know if it would actually seal the wood.  Let me know how it works.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Headin' out! *updated pics*
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 07:53:45 pm »
FINALLY! I was able to get all my 14 logs split up. I count just over 60 1/4 log's. Over half of them will get split again. Im guessing the total may get towards one hundred easily. There are plenty of belly splits not counted as well. I think Im good for the next 10-12 years!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 07:59:44 pm »
NICE!!!!
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 08:05:19 pm »
That long dude on the top is a 3 yr old hackberry 1/4. Thats a monster with at least 2-3 bows in it. The pic is a bit deceiving. Those staves are all 80" or well over that. Except for the sister billets of course. And NO I dont use that electric weed wacker, my wife bought it second hand because it was "cute".

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 08:13:10 pm »
That is a nice pile of yellow bow wood  right there.  Now you are ready for the hard part, getting rid of all that bark and sapwood. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 08:16:31 pm »
That stuff stays on until I start my build Clint. I dont mess with ripping it off all of them. That would take months man.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »
if i was closer i would come up and debark and sapwood them for a stave or two ;)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2012, 09:36:04 pm »
if i was closer i would come up and debark and sapwood them for a stave or two ;)

You are crazy Noel! It would take weeks to peel and seal that many logs. I would give you at least 3 or 4....................

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 09:44:57 pm »
That stuff stays on until I start my build Clint. I dont mess with ripping it off all of them. That would take months man.

Yeah, tell me about it :P

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 09:45:41 pm »
challenge accepted ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what