Author Topic: Headin' out! *updated pics*  (Read 10137 times)

Offline nyarrow

Re: Headin' out!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 09:17:35 am »
That sounds like an amazing trip. Worst case scenario you come back with a bunch of yeller wood. Good luck with the hunt!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 10:04:55 am »
Im back. No deer, matter of fact DAMN hard hunting in those foothills of Kentucky. Not many deer at all, but we did see 3 very nice bucks over 4 days. The best part was I met some wonderful hillbilly friends down yonder that teased me about my accent eh'? The farm was absolutely covered in hedge. I have never seen anything like it. There were literally tens of thousands of saplings, bushes and trees growing anywhere I looked. I took 14 premium logs and billet logs home with me, the truck and trailer are a touch sqawty. Some have almost 3/8" rings, most are 1/4" or better. It was a GREAT trip with great people involved. The lack of deer didnt bother me much. One more thing, HILLS, HILLS, HILLS, HILLS, HILLS! WOW! You cant even walk up most of the hills on his ground. We drove to the top and hunted the fingers that extended out everywhere.  We where about 4 miles from Kentucky. They called it Kentuckyana on the TV news.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »
Sounds like a Great Trip P.D.!

Sorry you didn't bring home some Venison.
But it sounds like you hit the Yella Jackpot!
And new Friends are a blessing...

Regards,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 06:27:34 pm »
What, they don't have hills up north?  Sorry you didn't kill anything.  Now, how about some pictures of that osage haul.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:28 pm »
Those things werent hills man! They were mini-mountains with loose stone all over the place. It was a real treat watching the sun rise and set over valleys several miles wide. Very cool exprience. I have the logs piled up on skids. Tomorrow I have a buddy coming over to help move the splitting along. My guess is around 50-60 staves. I snagged a big, dead straight 12" locust log too, couldnt resist!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 10:14:43 pm »
Maybe if you got some scraps left over you could have have one of the wood turners in here make you a pair of osage drumsticks!

Not sure how to tiller a drumstick, though.  Maybe you'd fletch it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 10:20:34 pm »
Wish I had-a been there with you!  we dont have any hills!!!!! 8)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 02:08:31 pm »
Glad you had fun PEARL DRUMS, and sorry you didn't get one of our Hoosier bucks. Also it good to hear you made it home in one piece with no problems. Didn't know if that Dodge was going to make it home with that load you were pulling!  :laugh:
Good luck buddy and keep me informed on how the rest of your season goes.

Who knows. Maybe you'll shoot dat turdy-point buck eh?

There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 02:21:06 pm »
Sounds like ya had fun,and glad you all made it back home safe  :)....now about that yeller hoard and showing it off so we can all drool.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 09:03:02 am »
Its my buddy Joe Dempler! I knew you would come around pal. I have 6 of the hedge logs split and Im up to 32 staves so far. Some of them could probably be split again easily. Looks like my conservative estimate of 40-50 staves may have been light. I will get some pics up after this mornings hunt, gotta go!

Offline johnston

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 11:42:25 am »
Glad you had a good hunt Pearlie.

Lane

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
Re: Headin' out! (few yellow wood pics added)
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 11:57:24 am »
You only split 6 of them? Whats taking you so long?  ;D
Let me know how the locust turns out for ya.

There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »
Looks like a nice haul.  I hope you like drawknifing
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 04:42:04 pm »
Nice haul amigo ;D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 06:36:16 pm »
Yes Sir,

That some purty Yellah Wood!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX