Author Topic: oyster mushrooms  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Postman

oyster mushrooms
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:54:20 am »
Easy to identify (watch for a few "look alikes" like the false oyster and stypic oyster that are unpalatable ) and common. . May be slightly lighter or darker than these, found on  dead / dying softer hardwoods like boxwood, sweet gum, and poplar. If left on black paper overnight, the whitish to lilac spore prints also help to ID. Picked about 8 gallons cut up of these winter-fruiting gems. last week here in western VA.   Stem area is tough, and gillls run down into it. Remove stem areas,  Sautee in butter and freeze the extras in individual serving baggies. Great aded to deer roast/steaks.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: oyster mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 02:42:07 pm »
Yes Sir!

That is pretty Cool!

Unfortunately the only fungi I've seen so far on my family's place are the Electric variety.
Not what you'd want to put in with a venison roast...

I picked up a couple of mushroom ID books hoping to find some table fungi back under the wooded areas of the place.
But either my timing is off or the lack of rain this year over all has hindered the search.
It has been pretty dry on the place this year.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »
Aw man, those look so good steak would be the SIDE DISH!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:19:10 pm »
Yummy! I love oysters! I was supprised to find these guys about a week ago, two young king boletes (Boletus Adulis) they tasted great!

I have the book Mushrooms Demystified and it has been great as I have found a bunch of edibles near me this last fall. Thanks for shareing

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Postman

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 10:47:26 pm »
Nice boletes! Found some this summer, but all were beetle-infested. Got some spawn from my oysters started in coffee grounds to try and grow a bunch in woodchip bags. The ones i dried were kind of disapointing, though.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:04:13 pm »
I agree they are never as good after dry imo but they still go good in gravy.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)