Author Topic: Headin' out! *updated pics*  (Read 10135 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Headin' out! *updated pics*
« on: October 24, 2011, 11:47:59 am »
My bestest friend in the world and I are heading to Madison, Indiana for a 5 day deer hunt Wednesday morning with a farmer friend, cant wait! This will be my first out of state deer hunt and I cant hardly sleep at night. We have 620 acres for the 3 of us to hunt, all to ourselves. My farmer buddy has been eyeballing a few nice bucks so far. The bonus of all this is the fact he is COVERED in osage down there and said he would be more than happy to cut down whatever trees I want and as many as I want................WHOA! Sounds like a lifetime supply of hedge to me. I am hauling my covered wagon down to load up! My goal is 50-60 staves worth. That alone will be worth the price of admission.  ;)

Two Tracks Chuck and I splitting a few logs Wednesday. I wouldnt even want to attempt it without some help. Most of the logs have 1/4" or thicker rings with almost invisible early growth. I would dare call them premium osage logs/staves. ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:48:55 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Headin' out!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 12:29:43 pm »
  AWESOME
 Split up your time scouting (glassing if possable) and hunting. I'm a big fan of scouting from afar. IT WILL PAY OF IN THE LONG RUN. I never just hunt blindly or maybe the land owner can point you in the right direction. Spend those first scouting days use the mid day to cutting Osage.
  Can't go wrong with INDIANA and big bucks. I'd be sleepless also. GOOD LUCK with the hunting and OSAGE.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:22:11 pm »
Good luck Pearl Drum, that's about 2 1/2 hours from my place.  Post pics when you get home.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 01:25:51 pm »
Sounds like a great deal,good luck on thge Deer and Wood. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:43:56 pm »
Man... That sounds like one Heck of a Hunt!

A certain ZZTop song comes to mind,  "Dirty Dog"!   8)

Sharpen and deburr your splitting wedges and make sure you take plenty of Advil and Icy Hot along for the Wood Work!!!
I have to say, as much of my blood as has been drawn by Bodarc, I do love me some Yeller Wood!

Oh Yeah, and make sure your skinnin' knives are sharp and your camera batteries are charged!!!
Take plenty of photos for those of us going through hunting withdrawls.

Whack em and stack em!
Hope you stick a Purdy Buck!

Safe Journey!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:15:11 pm »
Are you heading to Madison county or Madison the city?  I am only an hour away from Madison the city.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:40:54 pm »
Chris this sounds like a trip of worth taking.  Best of luck on the hunting and wood gathering. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 07:55:18 pm »
Good luck on your hunt, Be sure to share your stories with us

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:02:14 pm »

Are you heading to Madison county or Madison the city?  I am only an hour away from Madison the city.

The city of Madison....................neighbor!

You guys all take mental notes of the guys with osage cache's dont ya'? ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 09:49:10 pm »
We should meet for lunch or something one day.  We can talk yeller wood shavings.  You have a PM.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:52:45 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 10:05:31 pm »
Don't forget your camera Pearlie. You know how we feel about pics!  Have a great hunt and adventure. Sounds like a great few days ahead for you and your buds...and you get to bring back osage! COOL!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:35 pm »
Definately sounds like a good time. .....good luck hunting both deer and osage!!!  8)

And I like pictures too!!!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 01:10:23 am »
NOOOO!  These guys are steering you wrong!  Forget to bring your camera and conspire to lose your skinning knife the very first morning.  It's the only way to guarantee getting a huge buck!  They can smell when you are ready for them!

This advice will only cost you one osage stave, please.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 03:01:32 am »
Good luck PD.  Make sure the tires and springs on that trailer are in good shape.  A years supply of green osage will flatten the tires on most trailers.  Hopefully the sap is down on the trees up there already and they'll be a little lighter for you. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 09:03:22 am »
George the tires and spring are new.........plus I have a big-bad Dodge Ram with an empty box to fill up with logs. I told my buddy our return trip will be a touch slower. We will be mindful and safe with a touch of greed!