Author Topic: stone axe flint?  (Read 4347 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: stone axe flint?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 10:48:02 pm »
Cab you explain just a little more about apex. Thanks for the help!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline maddog314

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 11:43:57 pm »
this is an awsome post thanks for showing  :D

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 11:45:32 pm »
Show that on Paleoplanet, Larry usually reads the posts almost daily.  Don't thin your cutting edge too much, it will crumble when you start chopping.  Use a piece of green wood to make your handle, you can use seasoned wood but doing the final fitting will be easier with green wood if you aren't using power tools.  Drill a too small hole or two, link them with a chisel, then char the hole with a blow torch and scrape.  Repeat until about 1/2 the head is seated in the handle.  When you seat the head, only the top and bottom touch, if the sides touch, as you chop the head will act like a wedge and split your handle.  Don't make the hole so large that the head can flop side to side as you cut, the head will break.  Pecan, hickory, ash and white oak all make good handles.  Walnut and cedar make pretty handles but they aren't as tough. 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 03:34:29 am »
Ok I posted the on paleoplanet and larry said that it looked just right (the cutting edge was perfect). I  also wanted eveyone to know that the labor on this one was about 8 hours.  Not sure I will ever make another one but if I ever did I would be picky about the rock I started with.  I would look for one that was almost a celt and require very little work.  An hour of looking could save 5 hours of labor.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 07:01:26 pm »
Hey Sir,

Again, love the Axe!!!
Very Cool Thread!
And it would seem that the information gleaned in this thread could be carried over into other areas of Primitive Works!

Got it bookmarked!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 12:34:58 am »
Very nice axe! You have more patience than I.  Love the thread & well done!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!