Author Topic: shoot flute  (Read 2067 times)

Offline iowabow

shoot flute
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:01:07 pm »
Shot at a turkey at 40 yards and missed by inches so I tried again because it just stood there but the second shot hit a 4 inch tree dead on and this is the results.  The pine pitch held the tail that you can still see in the notch.  The shaft did not split.  This bow shoots at 146 fps. 

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

Re: shoot flute
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:54:48 pm »
It held up pretty good! My shafts split on bad shoots. I'm still working that problem out. Better luck next time!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline warhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 03:23:06 pm »
Thats a keeper if it was an ancient artifact beacause you can tell from the impact fractures the utility of the artifact and the seroius use that it was intended for thks for the pics.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 04:20:42 pm »
I gotta prinit this picture off and show it to a rather opinionated individual that contests that ALL clovis points are the result of having been shot and the fluting is the result of striking a hard object.  I laughed my butt off until I realized he was serious.  Obviously he has never struck off a spall in his life or he would understand the concept of "cone of percussion".  Since when has the shaft ever driven off flutes on both sides of a point?!?!

Billy Berger had an article in PA some time back showing just this type of damage to artifact points. 

I know this was not purposely designed into the choice of material and the function of the arrowhead, but the self re-sharpening that takes place as a stone point tip breaks off passing thru a game animal is absolute genius!  Can you imagine drillbits remodeling their cutting edges as they go thru material?

Nice work hafting the point to the shaft.  You had to have done a great job to save the shaft after impact.  Too bad the turkey didn't fall victim to such a nice arrow.  My condolences on the loss of a lovely point.  I bet the turkey was 60 lbs if it was an ounce and his beard was close to a yard long, you always miss the best ones, ya know!  >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:23:34 pm »
Cool info guys the flute fell when the arrow fell but it was dark so I did not look for it.  Kinda neat to see damage like that.  The turkey was a young bird and he was so dumb I was able get a second shot off that does not happen ever for me. That first arrow flew really great and I only missed by inches it was good to see what the new bow could do.  From the stand it was flat at 40. I shot it from the ground and it shoot great at 30.   Funny to watch an arrow stop dead in its tracks by a small tree then fall to the ground. I. Was sure that the shaft would be split.  That jackcrafty way of doing things is crafty

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 11:11:06 am »
HEy Iowa,

I have numerous points like that...  That flute you talk of is called an impact fracture, and I've seen numerous ancient artifacts with those very same telltale signs that they were shot at something.  I actually just looked at two that my friend had just the other day after a morning deer hunt.  He found them around his work (there's a creek that he often roams looking for artifacts during his down time).  I LOVE points that have impact fractures on them, because you know exactly what they were used for and they tell a story. 

I also save all my points that I shoot.  I have a collection of over 20 arrowheads that have various impact fractures on them, just like the one on your arrowhead.  Sometimes the flake runs down an edge....sometimes the point will "reverse flute" like yours..... and sometimes the point will split in half, resulting in an halves that are almost a mirror images of the other!  They are all really cool. 

Thanks for sharing!!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 03:24:10 pm »
Saving those damaged points and documenting exactly what caused the damage could be helpful to antrhopologists in the future, Billy.  Besides, it's just cool to have those physical reminders to prod memories down the line. 

I recently read a quote and have lost it, but it goes something like this: "I hunt not just for the meat, but to store up memories and good times for down the road when they are needed."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 04:05:54 pm »
Hey check this out it is a point that I reflaked before I ran out the door for an evening hunt.  I reworked this point on the shaft because I did not have the time to retie another point on.  When I got to the stand I thought it must have happen in much the same way years ago.  I figured I would use it if I needed to take a second shot and finish the job.  Our ancestors must have thought the same way, why not have another arrow never know you just might need it.

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 12:56:02 am »
It looks like some I have found.  Did it want to loosen up on the shaft? I have wondered if it was done in the past. Good luck hunting!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:02:20 am »
Yes so I reheated the point and reset center.