Author Topic: ohno! glue probs!  (Read 2083 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

ohno! glue probs!
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:58:24 pm »
Im sure this has happened to someone before, im just a little unsure how to proceed.  Last night i glued a hickory backing to an osage board.  problem is the hickory backing had been sitting in my work shop mostly exposed to local humidity and had warped.  it had a crown,  it didnt seem too bad so i proceeded as usual, wrapping with inner tubes and pinning the tips down for reflex.  i wasnt sure what was best, to try and glue with the ridge down the middle or with the edges raised.  i decided on glueing with the edges raised thinking that the inner tube pressure would keep the edges down.......they didnt. the glue line looks brutal, lifted in all but the tightest wrapped areas.

now i hafta get it off,  i glued it up with tb3.

i tried steamin it in th shower and tried givin it a hot bath, but failed both times.

i was thinkin heat gun? and as a last resort, ive got a thickness planer and a backup backing strip.

any advice would be amazing :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline PeteC

Re: ohno! glue probs!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:05:38 am »
Native noo,Maybe someone will chime in with good news,but in my experience,your not going to get it apart without tearing it to pieces. Hope somebody knows something I need to learn.  ;) Hope you can fix it. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:28:10 am »
TB glues will release at 150deg(F). Iused a heat gun and started at one tip. When it was hot enough I worked a wood chisel between the backing and belly and work my way towards the handle heating as I went. Then started at the other tip and worked back towards the handle until the backing was free.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 12:40:16 am »
Pat you have given this advice before. NNB I took off two backings today with heat doing as Mr. B says and it works great.

Lane

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 12:49:39 am »
thanks PatB! :) my son is just getting tucked into bed so ive got some time to work it out :D  was the backing reusable when all was said and done?
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:50:51 am »
johnston - thanks for the extra confidence :)

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 03:01:33 am »
No problem. If Pat says something it is gonna be straight. Ol'Longbeard really knows his stuff.
Btw...one of my backings was destroyed but the other,hickory, I am hoping to use again.

Lane

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 03:39:39 am »
I did the same thing, kinda but I dind't use a metal tool betweenteh backing and the belly material for fear of knicking it and creating a weak spot.

I had mis mixed Urac that didn't get to min curing temp.  Heat gun took it off.  I am almost positive it will take the tight bond off.  I used a wedge shaped scrap of wood to get the backing off.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 12:08:06 pm »
The time I removed the hickory backing both the back and belly were reusable after cleaning them up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 01:08:36 pm »
good morning fellas :)

so i got on the heat gun last night and had no problems getting the backing off.  my osage board is lookin great, it justs needs some love from the sanding block, and although the hickory backing is a little roughed up, im sure i can get it to work in the future.
but for tonite, ive got a new backing strip that is still nice and flat :)

thanks again for the help :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 01:13:06 pm »
When you get to using the old backing strip put the concave side down against the belly and use a pressure strip down the backing under the clamps, rubber bands or whatever you use.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 06:04:32 pm »
I love to learn something every day. ;) Thanks Pat. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas