Author Topic: Reverse bracing to apply sinew.. question  (Read 4317 times)

TurtleCreek

Re: Reverse bracing to apply sinew.. question
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 04:22:52 pm »
  What about Wisconsin in the midwest Pat B?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 04:47:44 pm »
I have two sinew backed bows I have kept around for myself. One is hickory and the other is osage. Both are 64" long, wide flat bows, and both are 50-55#'s. This is by NO MEANS a discredit to Pats observations, just my own add on's. I have never noticed either bow act or shoot differently in any weather I have had up here. If it was, it was so subtle I didnt notice it. I used TBIII glue on both, Im sure that plays a part.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 04:55:16 pm »
  I also plan on using TBIII.  Will the sinew backing still pull the bow into reflex slightly if I use TBIII?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 05:14:50 pm »
Probaly not pull it into reflex but you can add reflex.  All of my sinew backed bows are made with hide glue. TBIII would make a big difference how moisture affects sinew but I don't think you get the same performance with TBIII as with sinew/hide glue. I've never used TBIII for sinew so this is only a guess on my part.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »
My sinew backed osage bow has nothing more than 8-9 coats of Tru Oil over it. No skins or rawhide. The TBIII and finish seems to work perfectly together. My bows were sinewed with 3" of reflex pulled into them. I dont believe the sinew retracted enough to matter. Im guessing TBIII wont let the stuff move anywhere. Both bows are about dead straight now, thats after thousands of arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.