Author Topic: Ocean Spray  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Ocean Spray
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 10:40:24 pm »
 Great advice given already. Ocean spray is as Steve said a very strong wood and even though your branch is fairly small it can make a bow. I saw one that John Strunk had made from a branch about the same size..  You will need to seal the pith area by the handle real well after roughing in the limbs. It will want to check there.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Ocean Spray
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 11:14:25 pm »
I really like Ocean Spray  and also have seen and shot a couple of John Strunks Ocean Spray bows it makes excellent bow wood. A 3/4" piece 62 to 66" long will easily make a 60lb bow. After harvesting and drying allot of OS staves the best way I have found to dry them is I seal the ends with glue very well at least 12 to 14" down the stave and put it in a cool place to dry like under a house or in a basement for at least a few months minimum. Then I will move it into the house where I usually put it in the coolest room in the house for a month or two more and then finally I move it into the same room that the fire place is in for a month and the stave is usually dry enough to work with. This is just how I have found works for me to keep them from checking all together or minimizing it to a point it doesnt affect the bow. All of the other posts are good info as well and would probably work just as good to stop checking although I have never tried roughing one out and then sealing and drying but if I did I would seal it with multiple coats to be safe, wether that is needed or not I dont know but I wouldnt want to risk it with a good Ocean Spray stave IMO

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)