Author Topic: Horn Composite bow question?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Horn Composite bow question?
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »
Hey Everyone,

To all those out there who have built a composite bow, do you think I could get a horn strip for a bow out a horn like this? I found this guy selling them on ebay...

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Horn Composite bow question?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:08:11 pm »
I believe horn is horn but I'm no expert. Contact James Parker(Robustus). He is our resident horn bow expert(among other things) and would be the one to ask. Do you know what kind of horn it is?   
   Also, PJ Singh (Shikari) has built a few too. Try sending both a PM or e-mail.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:53:11 pm »
The horn is Water buffalo. Thanks for the tip, I will Pm them both.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:00:26 pm »
Hi Jon, If you don't mind me asking, how much did you give up for those? I just ordered some horn to start my first horn bow. I also sent James a pm. He gave me the email of the guy he gets horn from in Thailand. They have both been a big help. Can't wait to get started. Good luck with your, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:57:08 pm »
Dave- could you shoot me that information?  Is there a discount for volume?  If so, maybe we can get an order together...shipping from thailand for a few pieces must be brutal!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:11:42 pm »
Dave- I would also love that info. And would like to be in any group purchase if possible.  ;D I have not purchased this horn yet, (the pics are from ebay)... However the horn is 40" long and is $30 and plus $20 dollar shipping.. Not sure if that is a good deal or not. I am going to atempt a short heavily sinewed bow like Mwirwicki's. I love that bow and will build mine to identical specs. Mabey we could help eachother out as we build.

Jon

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:53:31 pm »
On the horn that you show in the pics, you would cut the strips from the outer curve and the inner curve of the horn.  If you were to cut where the horn was the flattest, it would be very difficult if not impossible to straighten.  So judging by the pics, it appears as though you are limited to a bow about an inch or so wide.

I would be interested in the group purchase if the price(s) were right!

P.S.  Thanks Jon, for the kind words.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:04:50 pm »
Matt,

I was planning on cutting a single strip from the outer curve of the horn if I get one like this, so that I would not have to worry about splicing the two horn ends together. I was then planning on straightining it with steam and then flattining with a scraper.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 10:14:15 pm »
That would work.  How long is the outer edge?  Maybe you can make two bows.  Splicing is no big deal, though.  Just butt them together when gluing them to your core wood.  That's pretty much it.  Before applying the first layer of sinew though, I wrapped 3/4 of an inch on each side of the seam with back sinew for insurance.  Again, that's only what I did and it worked for me.  Jim Hamm used 6 short pieces of horn and butt spliced them. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:23:02 pm »
I'll send you guys a PM. I just contacted him today via email, and he said it would be fine to pass along his contact info. He usually cuts them on the band saw, and leaves it up to the buyer to grind them down. They are $30 for a pair, plus around $30 for shipping. He said it takes about a month  by economy air. He does it as a hobby, just to help out us bow builders out.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:42:00 pm »
Sounds good.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 03:09:08 am »
Ifrit,  The horn in the picture is highly polished.  In the process of polishing a lot of material can be removed, so wall thickness may be quite uneven, or even too thin in spots.  This based on similar horns I've seen an one I purchased.   It's pricier, but probably better to buy horn strips that were cut with bow making in mind.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 04:29:10 am »
No that horn isn't really what you want. As just mentioned in polishing it a lot of material will have been removed - there will be thick and thin spots. Although it is a fair bit longer than average. You really want two matched horns and cut a strip from each.
I've had some horns off the guy from Thailand and they are good horns.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 09:05:42 am »
Okay guys thanks for the info.. I kinda figured that but did not know... Thanks.

Offline shikari

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 06:59:46 pm »
Hi,
I would not use the horn in the picture as those horns have burns on them at certain spots which makes them useless for bowmaking.I would highly recomend the guy from thighland(Randy)he picks out excellent horn and is verry reliable,I wont deal with anyone but him for horn.
regards,
P.J.