Author Topic: Bendy handle osage  (Read 3132 times)

Offline PeteC

Bendy handle osage
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:00:42 pm »
Here's another one. This little bow is a splinter,split off of a decent stave,(cut in feb.2011). It had 12" of wind checks that went completely through the wood,so I got them centered in the handle section,then tillered. I just got the handle bending a little to prevent the checks from growing. After tillering and shooting in,I wrapped all the wind checked areas with string serving,then finished it. Cane wrap and Tru-oil.  61" tip to tip,59 1/2" nock to nock.
1 1/4 at widest part of handle,tapering to 3/8" tips. 48@ 26" . God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Bendy handle osage
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:11:18 pm »
very nice bow Pete!  I enjoy makin bows from the more narrow pieces myself... They seem to shoot faster/better for me...    Nice save on a piece of wood someone less experienced would have overlooked.  You do great work!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:17:34 pm »
  I love the simplicity and subtle character to it.  Great looking bow, good job!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 02:31:19 pm »
Just like that.........bing-bam-boom!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:47:34 pm »
Very nice Pete. I love these little osage bows.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:04:39 pm »
This guy is so cheap he's making bows outa busted wood!  Give him a 5 gallon bucket of woodchips and a small bottle of TB III and he'd hand you a laminated horsebow!

For PeteC's sake, we should all just chip in and buy the poor guy a nice stave to play with!

Great work, Pete.  I love these simple bendies, plus salvaging this splinter and making something great appeals to the common American sentiment of pulling for an underdog.  Ya done good!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 06:35:26 pm »
That's a nice lookin Yeller Whip ....  well done :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 07:46:21 pm »
Osage is crazy, amazing stuff...the only problem I have now is actually discarding any of it thinking I could pull something off.  Well, that's ok, learning a lot but finding out more and more that a little bit of osage goes a long, long way...great bow and good eye!
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:39:27 pm »
Thanks y'all. Josh,I really enjoy working narrow wood.I have another stave in my haybarn that in the widest spot is less than 3/4 ".I hope it will make a bow.It's also very snakey.      JW,your right,I would'nt know what to do with a straight piece of osage, but,I'd gladly accept one. ;) Send it on down.  Primitive1, osage is amazing. I can hardly bring myself to get rid of any of it. A few years ago Pappy posted a bow with nail holes in it,plus a lot of character. I can blame him for my "revelation" of the  wonder of yeller wood. Thanks Pappy. Thank you all for the nice comments. God Bless

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:27:29 pm »
 Another beauty Pete.  You certainly have that profile and tiller down. Looks like a carbon copy of the other one for profile.  Congratulations

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 10:34:41 pm »
Great job. :) I love the front and side view profiles. Most people overbuild the ends and tips on osage,but you nailed her nice n slim. You've proven the ole cliche of it don't take much to build an Osage bow.  ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 07:31:08 am »
Another nice bow,very nice. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 12:35:53 am »
Thanks Keenan,Blackhawk,and Pappy. God Bless

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 05:20:01 pm »
That is one awsome bow Pete.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 05:54:54 pm »
Another great looking bow Pete. 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.