Author Topic: Want an atlatl dart  (Read 2766 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Want an atlatl dart
« on: October 18, 2011, 12:57:27 pm »
Looking for an atlatl dart.  I have a 65 inch rat snake skin to trade. 

PM me if interested
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:29:26 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Want an atlatl dar
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:38 pm »
Do you want it made up or just the shafting?  I have some sourwood shoots that would work but I've never made an atlatl dart.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:55:49 pm »
I was looking for one made, I got a suggesting about making one out of bamboo so I am gonna try that this evening.  I bought one this summer for that just never got around to it. 

I will be using it at school to demonstrate a push force.  Any ideals on a blunt. 

I would be interested in a sourwood shoot to make one. PM me and we can work something out.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:02:56 pm »
Maybe a short stove bolt with a smooth dome head for cane. For sourwood just round off the big end. It would be 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter at the big end. Sourwood is pretty tough stuff. You could fire harden it for extra strength.
  Cipriano, let me see how many I have or can find and I'll PM you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:47:27 am »
Thanks for the info Pat. Let me know. I've never used sourwood for anything. Will be neat. Do we have it here in Texas that you know of?

I've been hit up for the rat snake skin, but I will have more in a few  ;)

Cipriano

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:15:23 am »
River cane is good as well as muliflorose...not sure on the spelling its a thick very long pricker bush was used amongst the natives here in the northeast.  My suggestion would to have a shaft then a foreshaft, foreshaft could be a simple tree branch whittled down to fit in the end of the shaft. 
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 12:01:04 pm »
Ancient, multiflora rose is an introduced plant, planted by DNR officials as cover and food for wildlife...and has become an invasive exotic through out the Eastern(at least) US. There are other native rose species that were used for arrows historically.

Offline criveraville

Re: Want an atlatl dart
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 06:31:52 pm »
Guys

I dug out a bamboo stake that is 70 inches long and a river cane that is 72 long.  Which is best for an atlatl?

Thanks,
Cipriano

Pat, that sounds pretty cool

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 06:39:01 pm »
Hey Cipriano,

I would go with either one, but personally like rivercane. Make sure it is only around 1/2 inch in diameter so that it flexes in flight. One way to "spine" a dart is to put the tip on the ground and push down on the top, until it bends. Do this while the dart is on a bathroom scale and the weight that it bends at should be around 4-6 pounds. hope this helps.

Jon

Offline criveraville

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 06:54:53 pm »
OK.  Thanks Jon.  How long and wide should the fletching be?  Should I put a forshaft on it?

Cipriano

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 07:04:20 pm »
I would put on a forshaft, and fire harden a wooden tip... As far as fletching goes it's mostly personal preference... I personally have my fletching cu about an inch high and 7 inches long which seems to work well...

Jon