Author Topic: Lost my buddy....  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Stonedog

Lost my buddy....
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:25:51 am »
I know i do not post here much at all anymore....just so short on time as I get older. 

I thought I would share and it might help me to heal if I did so....

This past Monday I had to euthanize my boxer, Shelby, after 10 years of fun times with her. We found out she was ate up with cancer.  This past weekend we gave her a good one.  She stayed outside with us all weekend (she LOVED being outside even though she was an "inside" dog) while we worked clearing brush and landscaping our new house.  She even went an got her ball on Saturday for me to throw it a few times....and bark at me to throw it again!

Sunday night her breathing became shallow and difficult.  Monday I took off from work and took her to the vet.  That evening I loved on her....she gave me a final kiss and she was gone.   No more pain and in a place she can run free, bark and chase balls.

It has been a rough few days, esp. with my kids.  We are going to give it time before we get another boxer.....but Shelby sold us on the breed.

Godspeed Shelby.  I will see you again.
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Lost my buddy....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:54:48 am »
Sorry to hear that,been there done that and it ant no fun. :(It gets better and a puppy can do wonders. :) :) That's the trouble with dogs,we usually out live several of them in our life time. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kpete

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 01:03:02 pm »
My condolences.  I have had dogs most of my life and they sure grow on you.  They are one creature that seems to bond best with us.
I had to put down a lab a couple years ago.  My vet was great and sent me a card that helped.  It said something to the effect that "you are one of the brave people who willing cares for companions with a shorter life span than you."
Not the exact quote, but close.
I ended up diving right back in with a choco lab pup within a few weeks. Glutton for punishment I guess.
Enjoy the memories, sounds like you had a great buddy.
Kirk

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:07:28 pm »
I went through what you are last winter.  I know how you feel, we really grieved.  You did the right thing and I believe they know you are helping them when the time comes.

Sometimes I really consider that if people should be given the same dignity.

I hope you and your family find your peace.  It's so hard, though.

After a couple months we adopted a couple rescues.  They're great dogs but do not replace what's lost.  They're loved no less but dogs are as individual as people in our book.

Take care.

1’—>1’

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 03:32:02 pm »
My condolences. We just lost a puppy to parvo. He got sick while we were away from home and by the time our daughter called us it was too late for him. THe loss of my first dog at age 12 still haunts me. Don't let the past hold you back - enjoy life with a new friend and make lots of new memories.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 03:44:42 pm »
Sorry for your loss...

And I know your pain, with too may of my furry four footed children waiting for me on the other side.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline thomas h

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 04:05:40 pm »
that is just sad sorry for the  heart ache you feel  dogs do  have a special  place in the heart.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 04:13:32 pm »
Sorry to hear that,been there done that and it ant no fun. :(It gets better and a puppy can do wonders. :) :) That's the trouble with dogs,we usually out live several of them in our life time. :) :)
   Pappy

Been there several times.  Hard on the kids, mine still talk about our old dog Dotty and how they think she would really like playing w/ our new dog Nala.  Then we had a scare when Nala got bit by a timber rattler this summer and nearly died.  She made it, but that's another story for another day.  I feel for you and your family.  Got a tear in my eye just thinkin' about it.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline uwe

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 04:59:05 pm »
 I can feel with you and I remember the death of our Jack Russell every day. Its 8 month ago and it was so lonely without her, although we have PR- Terrier of 15 years. But she was as cheerless as we were and so concluded to get a new JRT. And so life and fun came back.
I think you won`t be alone for longer!
Regards Uwe
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:03:22 am by Pappy »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 06:22:08 pm »
I just ran across a picture my sister posted on her facebook page of my Scully, it was posted on the day after I had her put down.  My sister summed it up perfectly, "God got the perfect companion today.  He called her and she came to to His heel.  Rest in peace."

Years ago someone told me the reason we live so much longer than dogs is this; we both have a finite amount of love to give away before we go, dogs just don't ever hold any back.

I am glad to know you grieve over the loss of a dog rather than the type that feels nothing, grief is a measure of how well you have loved. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 10:12:36 pm »
 Me too, two Labs and two cats. It just helps you accept it when a close family member passes away, puts it all in perspective.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:01:17 am »
Sorry for your loss. We went through it 2 winters ago with beautiful Sister. We do have a life time of fond memories with Sister to help us through.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 05:06:55 pm »
3 years ago with a black lab, he was with me the whole time I was in the USN. He was a good dog plain and simple.

Sorry for your loss...
Even the dogs get the crumbs...